Thread: Add-ons not working due to certificate expiration

I have two up-to-date mobile browsers (Android and Beta) plus a desktop one sporting v. 49 (can’t use ESR due to extremely high impact on CPU usage). Not sure if this latter has been involved in the issue, but I do know Beta for Android has all of them disabled, while the very same add-ons are perfectly working on the Android release except ADB.
Thank God I never installed more sensitive ones, and besides that both mobile browsers operate as usual (I guess also desktop one can- too bad can’t check it right now).
Just waiting for a viable solution even for those who are using older versions (we might be few, but I think we deserve good service as well!)

I bet an ‘algorithm’ is what caused this.

Was working on a friends computer via Teamviewer last nite on a win7 to win10 upgrade and realized she was still using Waterfox (which I installed on her computer ages ago)…Could not believe how smooth it ran on an old AMD sempron chip w/4 gb ram and loved the layout of the search bar and the ability to run Flashblock & Classic Theme and a few other older add-ons which still worked when it was truly open source…tried installing FF and couldn’t get even Ublock Origin installed and the ads and vids and junk was popping up on the screen like I haven’t seen in I don’t know when…Caused me much grief till I searched my way to the point where I realized it was a Netwide problem…I left Waterfox as her default browser and she is happy with it…I intend to download it again myself and search out my old add-ons and take it for a spin on my I7…Made me ache for the “old days” I gotta admit

Still haven’t gotten the update I have now switched back to Chrome again who I left a long time ago

Thank you Mozilla! At long last!
Company policy mandated the use of Firefox with no other browser allowed and we just got instructions to ensure that all branches countrywide are switched to another browser as of right now so that at start of business tomorrow there is a seamless changeover. Dam! No playing games for the IT branch tonight.

+++BREAKING NEWS+++
66.0.4 appeared on https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/66.0.4/

Edit:
ESR 60.6.2 appeared on https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/60.6.2esr/

1 Like

I don’t know how but now i have all my add-ons are working again ^^

Is this what I am waiting for:

“hotfix-reset-xpi-verification-timestamp-1548973•Active
This study sets app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification to `1556945257”

If so, it has not cleared the add-ons for me. I have tried re-launching FF; any other ceremony to process the STUDY?

Should I try to restore known good .xpi files from back up?

This is caused by dead certificates (CA)

Is this why I am getting the message about downloaded add-on files being corrupt? Is this Study supposed to fix the problem. The Study shows complete, but my add-ons are still not there and I cannot add restore them.

Still not working. All add-ons are marked as Legacy / Not Verified.
Mac FF 66.0.3
Firefox Preferences > Privacy & Security > Install and run studies = Yes
hotfix-reset-xpi-verification-timestamp-1548973 = Complete

:fu: fyi problem fixed! :fu:

“Download corrupt”…“check connection…”
Tried restoring .xpi files from back-up…no dice.
What is going on?

Does anyone know if this has been fixed on firefox for mac? I’ve deleted everything thinking tehy had been removed and now it wont let me download the addons again. It’s showing at 66.0.3 as the latest version?

Have Firefox 66.0.3, since 2 days the addon-problem and no update available… Great quality control and bug testing mozilla! Shame on you that you need 2 (or more?) days to fix that problem. And then wondering why fewer and fewer people use firefox and switch to chrome. Uninstalled FF too and installed Chrome. Bye Firefox!

It appears to have been fixed according to the Mozilla Addons Blog:

Updates – Last Updated: 13:22 EDT May 5 2019

• A Firefox release is being pushed — version 66.0.4 on Desktop and Android, and version 60.6.2 for ESR. This release repairs the certificate chain to re-enable web extensions, themes, search engines, and language packs that had been disabled (Bug 1549061). There are remaining issues that we are actively working to resolve, but we wanted to get this fix out before Monday to lessen the impact of disabled add-ons before the start of the week. More information about the remaining issues can be found by clicking on the links to the release notes above. (May 5, 13:22 EDT)

Sadly, those of us running some version of Linux or other still have to wait for the package maintainers to do their thing, but I suspect that they’ll be highly motivated as they are probably suffering as well.

As for all those who have been p***ing and moaning about waiting a bloody day and a half, think about this: if it were Microsoft, Apple or Google, we’d still be waiting for them to acknowledge there was a problem. Then they’d have to assemble a team (which probably wouldn’t happen on a weekend) to analyze the crap out of it before sending it to the devs. Now, we’re looking at a week or better and probably another week for the code to show up which would, no doubt, have to go to some committee or other for approval.

Of course, it probably never occurred to any of you that Firefox is open source. You could even contribute if you have the required skill set.

No, it’s just easier to b***h and complain about not getting instant gratification from something you get for free.

That really says something, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

I fixed the problem yesterday by downloading Chrome and an ad blocker.

The “fix” from Firefox won’t help those of us who are using older computers and are unable to download the latest release. Unless they issue a patch for older versions of their browser, i fear that Firefox is now permanently bricked on my computer and will be deleted.

Nothing has shown as active or completed in about:studies. Problem still not fixed here and I am on 56.0.2 dues to later version disabling my most needed add-ons. Any idea when we will be back to normal. None of the suggested fixes have worked for me.
Study now active, but still don’t have my add-ons enabled. Can ANYONE in the know please respond…
Sudy just showed up as complete, yet still add-ons are still disabled. PLEASE HELP!! This is way beyond annoying!!!

What have you done, get my add blocker back now! Wtf are you doing. Is this caused by Google? Tell me what happend please FF I need that add-on have you tryed YT without one 20 minutes of adds per hour no I cant live like this!

Good evening guys,

Current time 23:48 EEST I have just received the 66.0.4 Firefox Quantum update.

I have my add-ons back. It took around 48 hours for me to get the fix, even though i had my studies open. Guys just try to push the update.

Appreciate the FF guys doing hard work in the weekend.

1 Like