Thread: Add-ons not working due to certificate expiration

UPDATE: Changing/Resetting the Master password as described here worked for me

The 66.0.4 update did not work for me. All of my extensions are still disabled with 66.0.4 on win64. Trying to re-download NoScript, for example, results in “Download failed. Please check your connection.”

Has anything been done to prevent updates from uninstalling my adblocker, or should I disable updates? It’s absolutely unaceptable for Firefox to decide, by itself, what addons I can run.

A possible long-term solution to issues like this is to stop enabling Mozilla. Stop treating them like the Little Valiant Company That Could and start demanding they be competent for once.

Netscape/Mozilla has had twenty years and untold millions of dollars, and they still make a junky piece of software that has one simple purpose that it can’t perform. Only Twitter’s engineers are more incompetent. Mozilla even lost marketshare to a spyware browser!

Other companies make much more complex software that keeps patients alive and that keeps planes in the air, and they do it using many fewer people and much less in funding.

For those who deny the above, imagine you were in a plane over the Atlantic when you found out Mozilla made the plane’s avionics.

Interesting that NOT all add-ons have been affected…

Someone please address older versions of FF that are also affected, e.g., v48.

Neither studies nor update fixed my addons. Windows7 64

Studies didn’t fix it (It was downloaded).
.xpi didn’t fix it
66.0.4 didn’t fix it
Reinstalling didn’t fix it.

Nothing changed. Up until this problem everything was perfect.

My addons are still “could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled” and I can’t add new “Download failed. Please check your connection”.

Actually I have one working addon, but as I can remember, it was installed manually (not from Mozilla website).

I need my Greasemonkey, uBlock and uMatrix to be able to browse in this harsh wild internet world.

Good morning, I have downloaded (twice) the updated version, but it doesn’t work. I can’t add any additional add.on (eg. Norton add-on). What can I do? Maybe I do something wrong… Thank you
regards
Giuliana

There are some new reports that antivirus software blocks the new certificate from getting applied:

You do realize that in our infinite wisdom, you disabled all decent protection addons in one fell swoop, right? Exposing PCs by the thousand to all the web-based threats out there.
Some security safeguard… Expired certs do not mean there is a threat. It means someone did not do his/her job. There should be an option to keep the addons I trust even if the certs are expired/not valid. I’ve been using them for years for Heaven’s sake!

Anyway, letting you know that the Firefox 52.9.0 ESR extensions are still broken.
What is your ETA to fix this?
These addons are the only reason we stick with Firefox.

Thanks!

Wtf " open about:config"means? - do guys hee think that we are all hackers/geeks?
It’s defiantely not going to help/aboutfirefox… cause there’s no confing option then … So?..
There’s also no config file which I could find.

I hate when people claiming to provide help are so ignorant…

If 66.0.4 didn’t fix the issue for you and you have a master password, please follow https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-ons-disabled-or-fail-to-install-firefox#w_master-password

1 Like

Same here. Yesterday I noticed my adblock wasn’t working and when today I tried to install new ones it shows me the same error. I hope they fix it soon.

@freaktechnik: AWESOME, this solved my problem! Thank you very much for pointing it out! The section on Master Password was not there in that document the first time I read it.
After taking that action, I was able to re-download the add-ons I use.

1 Like

I understand that accidents can happen that lead to the situation we are in.

I do not understand, how this is handled so unprofessionally and ignorant. I am using FF 56.0.2 and still my Addons don’t work. Studies did not do anything, changing the entry in about:config manually did not do anything.
I have read this whole thread and others and it seems I am not alone.

Please get your act together and fix this dilemma. Do whatever it takes to get back to where everything just worked. How hard can it be?

How are we as users supposed to read a plethora of posts and wade through a gazillion comments just to get things working again?
Fix this already, older versions and all, thank you!

I hope this issue gets fixed on mobile soon, it’s mildly annoying to say the least.

Is there going to be a release for Firefox developer version? I’m on 67.0b16 (64-bit) and the problem persist and no new versions are available.

As far as I’m aware updates for dev edition and beta are being worked on. I’d expect them to be released early this week.

However the study hotfix should apply on these, too afaik. See https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/ for details on the study hotfix.

2 Likes

This worked for me… instead of writing google.com or something like that write this:
about:config
then search for this:
extensions.legacy.enabled
and change it to true from false.
Hope I helped someone :slight_smile:

Edit: there’s a better fix available, firefox apparently needs you to change or have master password for addons to work.

Previously:

Things have become much clearer. As far as I can tell:

• very few users of Waterfox are affected.

If you do find difficulty installing or updating an add-on with Waterfox, then these two things (posted today) might be useful:

1. an overview for users of Waterfox
  2. a note about the signature of version 3 of Mozilla’s signingca1.addons.mozilla.org certificate.

Any updates/fix for this version?
Thanks!

Please see https://support.mozilla.org/kb/add-ons-disabled-or-fail-to-install-firefox#w_container-add-ons

:arrow_forward: Thread: Add-ons not working due to certificate expiration - FireFox ESR 52.9.0 (32-bit) and older