Tradfri IKEA

Hi guys, I think I’m running before I can walk here. I’ve just bought an Ikea Tradfri smartsocket to play around with alongside the Tradfri button.

I have a Zigbee stick coming tomorrow so I thought there wouldn’t be a problem. Seems like there might. Just reading Tim Hellakes ADD ON, I need a security number from the Tradfri hub. Gulp!!!

I don’t have the hub as I thought as they were Zigbee they should work out of the box.

Maybe not…It would be really helpful and save me a lot of time if someone could clarify this for me. Can I run these direct witj my WebThings controller. Incidentally, my Zwave stick will be plugged in at the same time. Thanks guys. A

I haven’t personally used the Tradfri wireless control outlet, but it is listed on the wiki as being supported, which suggests that someone in the community has and it worked. I have used the Tradfri LED bulbs however, which do work with WebThings Gateway.

Zigbee devices usually do work, they just require a factory reset because they often come pre-configured for the manufacturer’s own hub. You probably just need to figure out how to reset the device and put it in pairing mode. Some devices like Philips Hue do unfortunately need another piece of hardware to reset them, but that wasn’t the case for the Tradfri bulbs which just require power cycling in a certain pattern.

It’s not clear from the instruction manual, but for the outlet I think you need to press and hold the reset button (pinhole underneath the light, located at the top of the outlet) with a paperclip until the white light starts fading.

This is a great little nugget of information for someone like me with limited experience in this area.

So again thanks for your help and I just can’t wait to get into it properly. Well, when my stuff arrives. :+1::+1: