This topic is to discuss how we currently triage issues, and to suggest improvements, as well as inform people of improvements in the process. There should be a corresponding confluence page once we’ve figured out what we’re doing enough to call it a “plan.”
When I say “triage” I don’t just mean for priority, I also mean checking to make sure all parts of an issue are up to date, status, description, due date etc. Of course this work shouldn’t be left until the triage meeting, this should be done as people make progress on issues, but we’ll get there.
Here’s what the current process looks like:
Using the Master Triage Jira filter we check and update:
- Description - does it have a clear statement of the problem, the plan, the solution? (It doesn’t have to be pretty, the info just needs to be there
- Progress - is this an accurate statement of how far along the work is, and what is the next step?
- Due Date - if work is in progress this should be set as the due date for the next step identified in the Progress field. If work isn’t in progress it should be set to any hard deadline for completion if that exists.
- Status - Is it still marked as backlog but someone is clearly working on it? Is it done?
- Assignee - If it’s in progress it should have an assignee. If progress is stalled it should be nominated for a new assignee
- Labels - If this issue needs to be discussed further, we add the labels “ProjectMeeting” and/or “DiscourseMeeting.” Issues with these labels are reviewed at the respective meetings
- Needs Attention - If the issue needs more in depth updating, like the description is inaccurate, or if the issue is being blocked by someone, the appropriate names are added to the “Needs Attention” field.