Two issues with Django tutorial

First of all, thanks for this site. It has been very helpful.

I write in regard to the Django course. I followed all the way through Ch 7 without difficulty, but in Ch 8 ran into a snag, so I tried running your github version.

1. Cloning the repo doesn’t work. I had to change settings.py and wsgi.py to get anything to happen at all.

2. Per ch 8 adding “EMAIL_BACKEND = ‘django.core.mail.backends.console.EmailBackend’” to settings.py “logs any emails sent to the console (so you can copy the password reset link from the console”. I am not sure if this means the javascript console or the server console, but nothing appears in either of them. I suspect the steps you have outlines are not enough to actually send the email, but being new at this I am not sure. Once I got your repo version running, I see the same thing, or more specifically, the same lack of anything.

Advice appreciated.

mt

Michael Tobis

I have verified that invoking send_mail from a view causes the email to appear on the server console. So I am pretty sure that your code for sending password update emails is missing the actual sending of the email.

Ah, the user must be in the database. My problem #2 related to the silent failure when entering an invalid email.

It seems the default behaviour is to display the sent email page, without checking to see whether it’s a valid email. I think this is awkward, but will require looking under the hood a bit to fix it.

My problem #1 remains. The git repo will not work on the desktop.