Unity Global Menu Integration for Mozilla builds

Hi

If you use a Ubuntu version of Firefox with Unity, the menu bar at the top of the screen integrates flawlessly with Firefox. But if you download and use a Mozilla build of Firefox (I use Nightly), this does not happen as Global Menu Integration is not available.

I want to (and will!) continue to use a Mozilla build of Nightly, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how Global Menu Integration can be achieved in Firefox with Unity?

Well, there’s should be another package that integrates Firefox with the global menu. In Libreoffice there are separate packages that integrates the menu with KDE/QT and Gnome/GTK+ separately.

Firstly, check the global app menu integration in about:config page in Nightly. Click “I accept the risk!” to continue. Search for ui.use_unity_menubar .
If you found it and the setting is turned off, toggle the setting to enable it.
If you do not found it, create/add by right click, select New, then select Boolean. Set the name to ui.use_unity_menubar and set the value to True.

If you uninstall the stable Firefox package for Nightly, check the packages required by reinstalling it. Type in Terminal “sudo apt-get install firefox” (without quotes, requires root access or password). Wait until the terminal asks to confirm the installation. DO NOT confirm and/or pressing Enter, while take the screenshot of the terminal (Print screen button or Screenshots program). Save the screenshot and share it here.
After that, you can abort the installation by pressing N + Enter. Later, I will check what package is needed for app nemu integration.

This is supposed to work.

Firefox Nightly: Getting Firefox Nightly to stick to Ubuntu’s Unity Dock

I haven’t tried it yet.

Hi

Very sorry for the shocking delay in repsonding to this. I have been (too) busy with a list of moz-jobs and burned myself out, not helped by being very busy at the “day job”. Apologies.

I had a look in about:config for ui.use_unity_menubar and tried to create it. Unfortunately it did not work. I guess this is for Ubuntu builds.

I then tried removing Nightly and tried the sudo apt-get install firefox approach. This provides us with:

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Suggested packages:
fonts-lyx
The following NEW packages will be installed
firefox
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 45.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 114 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety-updates/main amd64 firefox amd64 50.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.10.1 [45.8 MB]
Fetched 45.8 MB in 52s (879 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package firefox.
(Reading database … 213001 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/firefox_50.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.10.1_amd64.deb …
Unpacking firefox (50.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.10.1) …
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3+16.10.20160929-0ubuntu1) …
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index…
Setting up firefox (50.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.10.1) …
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/firefox to provide /usr/bin/gnome-www-browser (gnome-www-browser) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/firefox to provide /usr/bin/x-www-browser (x-www-browser) in auto mode
Please restart all running instances of firefox, or you will experience problems.
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) …
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu4) …

Does this provide any clues?

I don’t know how important this still is for some, but there is a unity-menubar.patch file from: https://gitlab.com/Thaodan/firefox-kde-opensuse/-/raw/master/unity-menubar.patch

With this it is possible to build Firefox release version 103.0.1 without any difficulties. If someone would like to build from scratch, a full description can be found here:

https://www.auditeon.com/projects:computerbeheer:firefox:build_automation

You may have noticed that Ubuntu Unity has been revived - I am now facing the same problem on Ubuntu Unity 22.04 LTS.
I can use the menu bar by showing it with F10 (inside the Firefox window) but it doesn’t show in Unity’s top bar where almost every other program’s menu appears.

You might have seen that Ubuntu Unity has returned, and as a result, I am currently experiencing the same issue with Ubuntu Unity 22.04 LTS.
I can access the menu bar by pressing F10 (within the Firefox window), but it doesn’t appear on Unity’s top bar, as the menus of practically all other programmes do.
regards : technology