Suggested improvements to the devtools UI:
Make nested tabs sortable.
It’s currently possible to reorder the tabs that toggle the main devtools panels (Inspector, Console, Style Editor, et al). This functionality should extend to nested tab-groups as well; i.e., the Inspector pane’s right-most window should enable the user to reorder the Layout and Fonts tabs:
These enhancements are trivial, but nonetheless easily-implemented and unintrusive.
Clicking a font’s name should jump to details about its origin.
The highlights displayed on rollover suggests interactivity:
Font previews should be individually-editable.
Clicking a font’s preview-text should bring input focus to its contents, à la
contenteditable="true". Changes to the master value (i.e., the preview-text field currently in-use) should overwrite any font-specific previews previously entered.
Make font URLs clickable resource links.
These should have context-menus which include commands similar to those used by other media types:
- Open in new tab
(This obviates the need for a dedicated “Copy URL” button).
Copy font as base64-encoded
(Greyed out for URLs that already use the
- Show resource in Network panel
- Show ruleset in Style Editor
- When collapsed:
- Display buttons to copy or jump to CSS source of
- When expanded:
- List properties on their own lines, similar to how CSS rules are displayed by the Inspector pane. Its context-menu should likewise provide the same functions for copying values/properties, jumping to their definition, etc.
Add a context-menu to tab-groups.
This should offer commands like:
- Reset tab order
- Analogous to pressing "Reset" on the
about:config, but more discoverable by users.
- Zoom in/out and Reset zoom level
- Ctrl/Cmd‑0 and Ctrl/Cmd‑+/- can already be used to magnify the size of the devtools' contents, but exposing this functionality more explicitly may be clearer for users.
- Toggling tab visibility from a submenu
- The submenu would contain an entry for each tab that toggles its visibility in the devtools pane. Tabs are automatically revealed as needed whenever user focus is switched to a particular pane (such as the Debugger tab when a breakpoint is encountered).
(Apologies if this should’ve been split into smaller topics, or if I’ve failed to express my thoughts clearly)