Visual Studio Code Links Not Working

Hello all.

I’m working on a Mac running macOS Monterey 12.3.1.

The reason for the post is because I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to insert links to files from folders in Visual Studio Code?

Sometimes, a little menu comes up that allows me to select a file, enabling me to link to a file (with the proper underline style). Sometimes, it won’t come up. If a I’m using the “src” attribute, sometimes the folder menu comes up after I type a double-quote. Sometimes, it won’t. If I’m using the “srcset” or “sizes” attribute, it never shows up.

When I copy the “relative path” to the file from the Explorer pane, it doesn’t become a link

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Hello @pgmorales76

sorry i do not have mac or using vs code so could you explain with screen shoot what you have

does it make difference if this file was inside your project or from other part of your storage

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

8A00EB86-7F1C-4E0D-A53A-C80ED742D2C5

Thanks for helping me with this problem.

Do you see at line #10 there’s a little drop-down menu?

Sometimes that menu is displayed, sometimes it isn’t.

When it’s displayed, and I choose the relevant file path, the file path looks like a hyperlink: blue, underlined, and if you hover the mouse over it, VS Code asks you if you’d like to follow the link.

When the menu isn’t displayed, the file path doesn’t look like a hyperlink. The file path looks like it would in a directory.

I’m trying to figure out why this is.

Perhaps I’m wasting my time with VS Code? Do you have any suggestions/opinions on what the best text editor is? Could you point me in the direction of where I could find out?

Again, thanks for your help.

you welcome @pgmorales76

i just installed vscode on linux and here what i notice

1. if i write an atterbuite that accept url/path like href/src
    when type sr for example a menu show up so i select the correct atterbuite once i choose src it will write src="" and courser move between the quote but the drop menu does not show up but if i deleted those “” then type it again it will show the drop menu

2. for me the attribute value always looks like link and once hover over it it show the follow link

vscode is very good editor with tons of extension that help but i use an IDE called IntelliJ IDEA cause i use it for java (not javascript) and it also can handle html and css and js so i use one ide for all (the use the beta version of the utlimate edition cause it free for beta)

by the way those some list of editor

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation!

Also, how did you find learning/using Linux? Because macOS is Unix-like (I think that’s the right terminology), and b/c Linux is an open-source form of Unix, I’ve started learning the command line from books like “Unix and Linux: Visual QuickStart Guide (4th Edition) by Deborah S. Ray”. I found that book from a website called Programming Historian.

I’ve also found a website called, “The Linux Documentation Project”, where they have several guides/books. One, for beginners, called, “Introduction to Linux”, I’ve found very good.

Thanks, again, for your help. Be well!

you welcome @pgmorales76

i did not read those books but i guess they good for starting

also you can check this course from linux foundation hosted on edx

there some tutorial offered by rocky linux (redhat derivative ) https://docs.rockylinux.org/books/
https://docs.rockylinux.org/guides/

and if you like to dive deeper you can go for rhel doc

start with this one for light intro

you can install it on vm on mac so you can try it

you can use virtualbox
https://www.virtualbox.org/

or parallels

i guess the edx course would be fine as start

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is me replying to myself, so, hello!

For future reference, what may be happening is that you’re not reaching the directory you want because of the directory you’re in at the time.

Try these commands: to go up in the directory tree, use periods --> “.” --> this will go up one level in the directory tree (I don’t why typing two periods in the editor outputs three periods, and typing one period outputs one period, but, anyway); to go down in the directory tree, use forward slashes --> “/” --> this will go down one level in the directory tree

So, the command “…/index.html” will go up one level in the directory tree, then down one level, into the directory where index.html resides.

Congratulations on figuring this issue out! It only took six months! LOL!!! :sunglasses: