Weekly UK Community Call [Wednesday 19 December 2018]

TBD

• replace @sw1ayfe as central point of contact in Telegram wiki (I no longer use Telegram)
  • initiate onboarding content & allocate key person to get it started (initial repo this is now downstream from Tom’s repo)
  • @sw1ayfe deliver mentoring project (currently mentoring a 2nd time in MoFo’s Open Leadership - it feels a good match to our needs) - ** 5th April 2018 RESCHEDULE

[Completed] Added to London wiki page https://wiki.mozilla.org/London#UK_Community

Plan spring time GATHERING. (June 2nd Spring Picnic)

Plan ONBOARDING HACKATHON. (April)

Plan email list. Initiated via Picnic event. We need to discuss needs & implications. Appoint accountable NDA’d Mozillian|s as ‘data processor|s’ thus adhering to GDPR (EU) and DPA (UK). Mozilla being designated ‘data controller’.

EDIT [1st March] - there are currently several lists. Intention is to amalgamate these into one UK Community email list. This will need notification of this intention to these lists, set date to migrate, perform migrate, deal with errors, notify of successful migration.

Discuss Paul’s idea of Europe-wide call From Berlin...with an idea

[Completed] New shiny TAGS. Gone back as far as Jan 2017. Soz for the post order reshuffle due to this. Did I mention they’re shiny?

1st March 2018 - Just a couple of us on the call this week. We mostly talked about the cold weather, snow, and strategised how we might bring more to these calls.

Next week will take action by beginning to openly define steps toward engagement. We’ll be starting right at the beginning of a (soon to be) new community member.

If that might be you, or you would like to get involved at this early creation stage, please join us Thursdays on one of these open calls. We’d love to have your voice with us building these new foundations.

8th March 2018 - Working through a couple of personas. Purely fictional people, previously been engaged with Mozilla, and more recently slipped through the net. How to reconnect with them.

Collaborative document link. An archive has been created so if you’re reading this at a later date, please copy, edit, or remix.

CALL NOW ENDED CLICK HERE to download the software in advance of the call next week! If you’d prefer to dial in using a phone, or even software like Skype, we’ve got you covered too! We’re back every Thursday from 19:00.

Thursday March 22nd, 2018 UK Community Call @ 19:00 - 20:00 UTC.

We’re back next Thursday March 29 from 19:00 BST (+1 UTC).

Thursday March 29th, 2018 UK Community Call. Checking in a bit late here but will make myself available for the next hour! 19:30 - 20:30 BST (+1 UTC).

We’re back next Thursday April 5 from 19:00 BST (+1 UTC).

Placeholder for April 5, 2018.

Agenda for this call will be building leaders and mentors in our community.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have been part of Open Leaders since round 2. It covers building an open source project and methodology toward attracting and growing a community of contributors in open source projects.

Now in its 5th season I find myself as a mentor in this program. I’ll be extracting this particular component from the 12 week training series as I feel our particular community has a number of individuals who would benefit from mentoring newly onboarded.

An important component of our onboarding is ensuring we all feel supported, are provided with an opportunity to teach others what we have learned, and skill those new additions to our community throughout.

A special onboarding MozCoffee will be taking place Saturday April 28. GO HERE to find out more about that event and get tickets to take part.

Download the [deleted live links] software ahead of the Thursday call.

Link to the Vidyo room for tonight’s open call removed. Next week I’ll be unavailable. I’ll try to get anothe volunteer to make themselves’ contactable at the same time.

UK Community call happened. 3 of us strated preparing volunteer onoarding and designing Mozfest Vols apps workflow.

Weekly UK Community call took place.

Don’t forget we’ve got a MozCoffee London this Saturday and I’m starting to getting excited for the Mozilla UK Community Picnic in Hyde Park on June 2nd. All our event tickets over HERE in Tito.

Call took place. Catch up over our individually complex days, further discussion about Mozfest vols apps design, Privacy Lab, Ada Lovelace Day, Picnic, sessation planning etc.

Next call due May 10, at 7pm.

I’m hosting an event that day, so might be busy at this time (the pub). FuzzyFox is likely stepping in to work on some more planning.

Next call due May 17, at 7pm BST.

Via feedback from @plwt we’ll be switching to using ZOOM for our video calls. There’s been trouble for some users in other projects too recently, especially for users on Linux distros. We carried out a test May 13 and it went all OK.

My room for connecting on Thursday is [deleted zoom link]
If you’d like to test it first, please ping me in IRC, Matrix, or here in Discourse. It does also allow recording.

Ethically I’d also like to try out the Open Source alternative JITSI. I misnamed that on Sunday as Jira. Ooops!! Matrix and Rocket.chat use Jitsi.

1 Like

It was great to be part of a weekly call and I really appreciated it.

The discussion was wide-ranging from the new privacy indicators in Nightly to the format of big Mozilla events, to how we can help support and possibly grow the UK community - all a good use of time.

The Zoom software was easy to use and did everything we needed it to do We did not get round to testing Jitsi, but maybe this is something we can do next week.

1 Like

Today’s call happened. Yay! Topics of discussion were:

• Firefox Support Sprint (we’ll participate June 3-9)
  • What supporting general users is really like
  • Android virtualisation needs - for me that sounded like a Snap instance of Android Studio
  • The mysterious testing tool :sparkler:
  • UK Community Picnic (June 2)
  • Why I had to cancel May 26 Mozcoffee
  • Onboarding contributors
  • Mentoring program
  • New cookies option in Nightly
  • 2FA in Firefox user accounts
  • Emerging Tech projects
  • Mobile GeckoView
  • All-hands
  • Mozfest onboarding meets content