What about wireless?

Did I miss something? Is there an add-on or whatever for wireless devices? What kind of transmitter would be required? How would it connect? If this is not an appropriate subject, I apologize in advance.

It depends on what you mean by “wireless”. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Zigbee, Z-Wave, 433 MHz… these are all different wireless protocols.

I’ve got Zigbee and Z-wave covered. I guess Wi-Fi is what I am looking for.

Wi-Fi will usually need a specific adapter for the device you have.

Just so I understand, I would need hardware specific to my Raspberry Pi as opposed to other platforms? What RF frequencies would need to be covered here in the US? Can the built in rpi wireless be used?

No, code (an “Adapter”, which are Add-ons/Extensions) specific to the device you want to control/integrate.

There are no standard protocols that Wi-Fi devices adhere to (outside of HomeKit), so a separate add-on is needed for each brand. You can see what’s available by navigating to Settings -> Add-ons in your UI, and then click the + button at the bottom right.

Thanks all! I think this is all finally peculating through my brain. So, to summarize, all I will need are the device specific add-ons. The actual hardware to transmit and receive signals can be handled by the Raspberry Pi’s wi-fi?

Yes, that’s exactly right.