What do you think about the Weekly Call? [Feedback topic]

Do you think we don’t have enough content to have one per week? Keep in mind that one per month would imply that the duration would be way longer (1h at least).

Thank you everyone for the comments here, super interesting!

Great feedback so far and great ideas on how to improve. Keep them coming, we will start trying new things at the call, so this will be a process that we can shape together :slight_smile:

I see that the time seems to be a problem for some. That is the trickiest part to solve, since we cover all times zones in the world. But we can think about a solution for this.

If you can get more of the Reps to let us know how to make the calls more valuable that would be fantastic :smile:

Thanks!

• Rosana

Do you usually attend, watch or read call notes? Why?

• Usually read call notes. Hard to attend due to timezone difference and stable internet connectivity.

What do you love to change about it? Why do you think people are so quiet during the call?

• Perhaps, if we can cycle the timings of the call to cater to different timezones. Perhaps, it is also due to timezone issues that is why people are so quiet during the call.

As an alumni who is often busy with Day Job and Family, I’d look to this call as something similar to a status call or State of Mozilla followed by a couple topics for discussion.

The latter - discussion - should or could be framed to elicit debate, hopefully on some meaningful Mozilla topic or some topic that should be brought to other leaders within the organization.

My own couple thoughts:

• Would like a consistent, periodic call. It’s something that can be set on a calendar and have some expectations of happening.
  • But we’re very likely at the point where a single call won’t catch everyone. Perhaps two calls optimizing for different timezones/geographies, with each call providing verbal summaries to the other.
  • Followup items should be taken to Discourse for asynchronous discussions
1 Like

Also reading your comments another questions comes to my mind:

What’s more important for you, attending the meeting or learn about the updates that are presented there?

We are trying to improve meeting notes so even if the time is not good for you, you can always be informed about what happened. Currently the time is early morning in America west coast and late in the night in Japan, but is that moment where most of the world should be (or could be) awake :wink:

Also, follow up asynchronous is always encouraged, specially if we talk about feedback or discussions.

It might not be intended that way, but you have to look analytically about how much people are reached out to in other methods about the same topics. If the onus is on people who didn’t attend the meeting, to read the meeting notes, and then start conversations themselves, then that is using the meeting as the main channel.

Important announcements, but not everything, are started as discussions or announcements in other channels. With the low attendance at meetings compared to the number of Reps, I would suggest that all topics covered in a meeting need more discussion.

Basically in your question to me you’ve framed the meeting in several ways that back-up my impression of how the meetings are framed. In another reply to someone else you ask the question “do you care about attending the meetings, or about getting updates?” So that also frames the meetings as informational, not participatory.

Hello,

I don’t attend because I’m working at the time of the call, I usually read
the notes.

People may be quiet because they are shy, they think they have nothing
important to say, they think they don’t manage their English well enough,
they think no one will agree with their thoughts.

Best regards,
Gabriela
QA Mozilla Hispano Team Responsible

http://twitter.com/mozilla_hispano

I try to join but lately I have day job stuff that overlaps. I like the time though… before this early meeting was scheduled it was at a time I am free and once it ends I will be free then again.

I don’t. In fact, I didn’t attend any of the calls. The main reason, for me also, the timing. I usually read the notes if that is readable inside my email client. Tobe clear, I will read the notes if it is coming as a discourse comment rather than an etherpad link. May be it’s because, I don’t want to open another application, just to read that note.

I am sorry to say, but I don’t know much about these calls. I usually see, few familiar faces, every time during this call. I used to see those screenshots in our Telegram group.

Many reasons would be there. Inefficiency in English would be just one of them.
I think instead of asking Why do you think people are so quiet, lets reach out those silent participants and ask them why they are being silent. So we may get the correct answer, rather than guessed answers.

Unfortunately I have work shift at this time, but I try to read call notes.

Try to find another time for the call by polling for all rep and I support @thephoenixbird in his suggestion.

Do you usually attend, watch or read call notes? Why?

I can’t due to work and college time zones

What do you love to change about it?

Changing timezone and/or day of the meeting in order to participate
more/different reps.

Possible do it during or before the all hands on a Monday

Why do you think people are so quiet during the call?

I think answers above have covered this question.

what if, we create sort of podcast, like radio podcast, that we can download, in case we missed the meeting… so it doesn’t have to be a video… i think audio is enough…

great idea yofie! one question: should all of it go to the podcast?

would be great if we can do that… to be more organized, so every podcast have their own title, and short description about the main topic discussed on the meeting. So maybe there are some interesting topics someone is missing, they can start download and try to learn the discussion. And maybe sometimes we need to reffer back to the old podcast, digging old topic, or idea burried in old past meeting and developing it…

but the downside will be, this podcast audio thing only works for those who already familiar to recognize voices…

That’s been my concern each time we have talked about podcast. Audio-only is extremely difficult for non English-speakers.

Maybe that’s the reason people prefer to have good notes they can read in 3 minutes :stuck_out_tongue:

how hard would it be to create a workflow to have a podcast created each time from the video audio?
That way we have a great buffet: video and audio, audio only and text :wink:

just a random thought (shout at me if i didn’t go through previous stuffs),
why no IRC or something instead of video+audio stuffs. We got bad internet
in some places :confused:

~Nootan
Mozilla Nepal

Typing is slow. If you want to follow text-only, you can always follow the pads.

1 Like

I think that Nootan has a good point.

The problem is that is difficult to optimize for everyone. What are other suggestions to tackle this problem?

1 Like

I don’t know if I dreamed it, but I think airmozilla used to have that option (audio only) under download section in each video.