What happens when I don't make the WebExtensions migration in time?

For my FF extension I’m currently working on the migration process to WebExtensions.

The release date for FF 57 is Nov 14th?

What happens when I can’t finish the migration till the release date?

Is there a transitional period for SDK-addons even after the release of FF 57?

You can still migrate after Firefox 57–when you update the code, your users will automatically get the new version. In the meantime, there is a function in version 57 on AMO that directs people with legacy extensions to a recommended alternative (and the featured collection, if no alternative has been identified). Once you update, your users will no longer be redirected. Would you mind me asking which add-on you are working on?

1 Like

Cool, thanks. Is there a particular replacement you want us to redirect users to temporarily, or are you alright with people landing on the featured collection?

There is no good replacement I think, so featured collection would be fine.
But I will search tomorrow if I can find a temp replacement…
Perfect would be if the users of my extension could be informed about the delayed release of my FF-57-compatible version of Textmarker, so that they know they will be able to use it in the near future

You can push an update that shows a notification for users. That would
be the most effective approach. Alternatively, you can change your AMO
description or summary, which are visible in the Add-ons Manager.

@amyt I would like to take both approaches but unfortunately I cannot test a new version anymore using jpm run -b nightly with the new version of Nightly i upgraded to (the xpi is being disabled), and I don’t see any good way to test.
Also, considering that the approval of the last release of my addon took more than 3 months I doubt that publishing a new version with some notification or AMO description update will reach my users in time (before Nov 14th that is).

Right, the SDK is no longer supported. :-/ The review queues, however, are much faster now that we’ve moved to a post-review model for add-ons built with the WebExtensions API. So you should not experience any delays when you update to your WebExtensions version.