Where did "View image info" go?

We used to be able to right-click on an image and select “View image info”, as a developer this was a nice shortcut to see dimensions, etc… Can we get it back please?

1 Like

Hi,

This was recently removed. There is a lot of discussion explaining the motivations for the change at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1700239

View Image Info is in Firefox 89 (beta or Developer Edition) and should be available to you when Firefox 89 releases in June. You will be able to turn it on this way:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.menu.showViewImageInfo and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the preference to switch the value from false to true

Until then, you can access the old information using the Page Info dialog (Ctrl+i for Windows/Linux, or Command+i for Mac), switching to the Media panel, and finding the image in the list.

Also, I have an add-on you could consider and of course if more info/options would be useful, please let me know:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for clarifying!

I completely missed that the Bug I linked actually led to another Bug re-enabling the feature behind a pref (and given it was closed as WONTFIX, I assumed that was the conclusion :slight_smile: )

Additional note: on Developer Edition, the preference is true by default, meaning you will have the context menu item without having to enable it in about:config first.

There is still a glaring shortcoming with the reinstated ViewImageInfo – it no longer shows the image size. In Firefox 102.3, I had to re-enable the browser.menu.showViewImageInfo setting and was surprised that the size is not presented. That used to be one of the most useful parts of that menu option.

If you open the image in a new tab, the size is displayed, but that does change the context (so scaled dimensions may differ).