Will users of old browser automatically see the latest compatible version?

If I release update for existing addon and I mark it as compatible with Beta version, what will new users of Release channel see when they visit addons page?

Will it say that it’s not compatible with their browser? And they would need to manually visit the Versions page and install older version?

Or is it done automatically and they will be automatically offered the latest compatible version?

Let me see what I can find out.

1 Like

Just put together a test case to share screenshots. This extension has 2 versions:

• Version 1.0 requires Firefox 42
  • Version 2.0 requires Firefox 1000

When I visit the extension’s listing in Nightly 127.0a, here’s what I see:

The user can still visit the “See all versions” link further down the page to download and install older versions of the add-on.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:
So, it’s not advisable to target Beta/Alpha because most users won’t know how install the previous version (which is also in normal cases not advisable).

Instead one should use “feature detection” to enable modern features only when browser supports them and target also older browsers (ideally ESR branch).

I think using feature detection as you described is a solid approach.

Another approach I’ve seen some folks use is to treat the public AMO listing as your stable release channel and to use self distribution as your pre-release channel.

1 Like