Z-index Stacking in Firefox Devtool

I was wondering if there is a way to see the z-index web stack in Firefox Dev tools? This is supported first party in for example in safari devtools->layers whereby stacks are shown in 3D.

Is addon the only way to go about this?

It looks like we were planning to add this in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1331558 but stopped mid-air.
I don’t think we have the time to look at it at the moment, but maybe you’d be interested in picking that up maybe ?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! I would have loved to take part in the project however I am quite new to programming and also the project is in ReactJS I believe, which is beyond my expertise at the moment.

I would just use safari or other browsers for now until hopefully one day this feature gets added to Firefox! :crossed_fingers: :slightly_smiling_face:

I remember the DevTools having a tool like that called Tilt. It wasn’t explicitly displaying z-index information but created a 3D visualization of the DOM. It sounds like this is similar to the z-index-devtool referred to in the bug Nicolas mentioned.
Unfortunately, it was unmaintained and removed at some point.

Sebastian