Add-ons remote debugging

Since last update of the Developer Edition 68.0b3, access to the remote add-ons debugger is not available.
When clicking on inspect to debug an add-on it open a new tab with a console but it’s not as practical as before and when using breakpoints the debugger can’t be resume.

If you want the toolbox in a separate window, simply detach the tab into its own window.

@freiden hi! We plan on adding shortcuts to quickly open toolboxes in separate windows (maybe alt+click on inspect for instance). And as @freaktechnik said, for now you can detach the tab.

when using breakpoints the debugger can’t be resume.

This should definitely not be the case! Can you share the details of your use case? Which addon are you trying to debug?

Thanks!

Could you go to about:config and check the value of the preference extensions.webextensions.remote. If it is set to false, it might explain the Debugger behavior you are describing

Hi, @jdescottes I checked the setting but it was to true, I setted to false restarted then put it back to true and restarted but not modification.

Like previously indicated the extension is opening in a new tab but the console can’t be detached I can just move the tab to a new window (or it’s own).

Thanks!

We never supported detaching the console specifically so I’m not sure I understand the issue here? The toolbox (with console, debugger, inspector, etc…) used to open in a separate window, now it opens in a tab. You can detach the tab to be in a separate window. After doing that, it should be almost identical to the behavior in 67, what exactly is different (and annoying) here from your point of view?

Regarding the debugger issue, I don’t see any source or breakpoint on your screenshot? Can you give more details:

• which extension are you debugging
  • in which script are you setting the breakpoint

Ok thanks I understand better the new behavior of the toolbox.

Here is a new capture of my screen where I’m stuck once the debugger is started. I’m developping a popup webextension.

If I click on resume it have no effect (neither the others buttons) I can switch tabs (I can even use the console to display the value of the variables).
I also can’t open the preferences or switch between the window and the extension like before.

Update:
After more testing it seems like the issue is appearing when disabling the popup auto-hide.

Thanks a lot for the additional details! @rpl pointed me to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1349956

It looks similar to the issue you are describing. I don’t have much more info to share at the moment but we’ll try to get things moving.

Thanks @jdescottes.
Please keep me posted if you have more infos.