Adding password generation rules

I would like to allow for custom password generation rules when we use the use a securely generated password option. The way it currently works is inflexible and can even fail some sites password validation from what I can see. I think Keepass’ password generator may be a good source to go off of.

8 Likes

It would be lovely if you could edit your post to remove the slur (the r-word), you might have mentioned some interesting things past that word, but it stopped me in my tracks so no idea.

To answer your question of who in their right minds would create a password generator without any options at all, I think it’s fair to say the Lockwise team. I am guessing, but I think it might have something to do with the feature of it automatically generating a password when creating a new account or perhaps they simply don’t want to overwhelmed users with a lot of options.
Needless to say I would like to be able to change the generator settings because I really like having incredibly long and ridiculously complex unique passwords for every service I use and am not satisfied with the passwords that are generated by the extension thus far.
Perhaps this could be made possible by adding a “configure generator settings” option to the drop down menu, which crates a popup window where you can configure the type of password you want and it will then automatically fill it in once you are satisfied and click okay.

2 Likes

And they succeed because there are no options at all. This is very bad situation because at this moment this generated passwords don’t meet requirements on many webpages. Thus they’re useless.

2 Likes

Why I wouldn’t (youtube video)

I’d say about:config is the best place for these settings. No often changes expected.

Just got this feature announce from “What’s New” in-product message. Tested, and sad to agree - totally useless for me as not complying with my password requirements. But idea was good.

EDIT:

Post must be at least 20 characters, bump! :slight_smile:

I feel like this would be too out of the way when different sites often have different password requirements. Ideally there should be options you can set in the popup box, with sensible defaults that actually work for most websites.

1 Like

I was really excited about Lockwise and this glaring hole in the design makes it basically worthless as a password management tool. Did the Lockwise team ever use a password manager before coding this?

1 Like

+1 I’m also disappointed by the missing config options, which must include at least the option to use special characters.
let’s hope devs will improve this in new releases.

I think password generation rules are absolutely crucial. Lockwise needs this now more than ever. There have been sites where I have to manually edit the password, copy it, then paste it into the Confirm password box just to accommodate their rules. Hopefully it can be implemented!!

Has this moved anywhere, or being considered at all?

Just had a third website in the last couple of weeks fail the generated password due to complexity requirements.

While Lockwise is immensely handy, if this item isn’t not being looked at, then I’ll probably decant all my passwords and use a different tool

1 Like

I’ve ended up switching to Bitwarden which has worked wonders for me. It’s way more feature-full than Lockwise imo.

Another issue I am facing now because of no options is that I had to change a password for a site a second time in quick succession but it will not generate a new password. It just keeps suggesting the same one as before.

It is more a hindrance than a benefit now.