Broken tabbox / tabpanels in Linux in TB 60

(John Bieling) #1

Hi,

It looks like the XUL Elements tabbox and tabpanels are currently broken for Linux users:

The tabs do not have any border or other visuals, the panel also has no border. I have heard this from multiple Linux users and it is not a theme issue as none of them had any special theme installed.

The last user reporting this to me is running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Gnome3 and Thunderbird 60.

Is this a bug in Thunderbird? Can we do something About it, or is it a fault in Linux?

Thanks for your help,
John

(Walt) #2

I see well defined tabs with borders in my Ubuntu supplied Thunderbird 60.2.1 on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS Gnome 3.28.

I barely see them with the Ubuntu supplied Thunderbird 60.2.1 on my Linux Mint 19.1 with the Cinnamon desktop, but they are there.

(Walt) #3

Also Thunderbird is switching to preferences in a tab in a future version.

You can preview that by opening the Config Editor, search for “mail.preferences.inContent” (without quotes) and toggle the preference. Close preferences, reopen them and you will see a slightly highlighted underlined tab.

Tabbed Preferences

(John Bieling) #4

The usage of XUL tabbox is not limited to the TB preferences. It is a standard XUL element used by TB and some Add-ons. I just used the TB preferences as an example everyone can check.

So what is the reason for this behavior? Who is to blame? How can we fix it?

Thanks,

John

(Walt) #5

I don’t know the reason.

Blame the graphics driver? Don’t know how to fix something I don’t see needs fixing on my system. Anyway I’m not a developer.

Maybe install a daily and see if things you see differently are fixed.

I have well defined tabs with borders.

Where would I check for other problems?

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.2.1
Ubuntu 18.04.1 Gnome 3.28.2
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
Driver: nvidia-driver-390

(Walt) #6

I see you are using the Ambiance or Radiance theme. I am using the default Adwaita theme.

That is the reason you don’t see the well defined tabs.

(John Bieling) #7

I am not a developer either, but I was asked by by a thunderbird developer to create a topic here about this issue. Maybe that was wrong.

I am a Add-on developer and i use a tabbox and many of my users complain about it not being displayed correctly. All of them are Linux users and one of them had send me that screenshot.

I will ask them About the scheme.