Cleaning SVG macro

Hello,

Among the various things I plan around the SVG documentation there is the question of the various SVG KumaScript macro (full list available here)

Among them I would like to get rid of {{SVGData}} and move the data in https://github.com/mdn/data

Do you have any advice on how to do that move?

I would also know what are the best practice around macro l10n (lot of updates are needed for SVG macro in that area)?

I’d recommend not moving the data until a few issues are resolved:

• Identify the staff person that owns the mdn/data repo
  • Determine a versioning scheme and release schedule for the NPM package
  • Convert existing macros using the mdn/data data to use the NPM package
  • Fix translations in the kumascript repo

I doubt these issues will be resolved in the next six months, and the resolution may be to retire the mdn/data repo. Until then SVGData.json in the kumascript repo is a good home for the data.

Hi,

thanks John.

So it appears there is an ongoing discussion about this, I would love to here more about this in that public forum (ping @fscholz, @sebastianz)

Sounds good to me :slight_smile: Just for further reference and discussion, here are a few useful links:

I initially created the CSS data in the mdn/data repo scraping the page contents, like I did for the SVG data in mdn/kumascript/macros, though I didn’t work on them for a long time. So, I wouldn’t call myself the owner of mdn/data, but I’m happy to help with the migration.

I agree with John. Though I believe that if work on this is focused, it can be done in a shorter time frame than six months.

I’m also wondering how we handle l10n nowadays. For your information, when I did the initial parsing, I simply scraped the translations from all language pages and matched them as good as possible to the English version. And I was forced to split the translations between {{SVGData}} and {{L10n-SVG}}, because there was a length limit for macros.

Sebastian