Community Coordinator Role is here!

As part of our Reps Council OKR we are publishing a document based on Mission Driven Mozillians (https://discourse.mozilla.org/tags/mission-mozillians) that will be introduced to the Reps Mentor initially and later to the rest of Reps.
The document is available on our blog (https://blog.mozilla.org/mozillareps/2018/10/10/community-coordinator-role/) and we are ready for any feedback here on Discourse!

4 Likes

Good to have this defined. Thanks @Mte90

First of all, I want to thank all the Reps council member that have been working on this. This is a solid set of role that I guess most of Reps understand but just been explicit now.

I do have some questions around this:

• Does that mean that we’re going to do a huge re-evaluation of all our current Reps and kick whoever doesn’t fit the role?
  • How is the regular review gonna happen? What are the set of measurement that we’re gonna use for the review process?
  • It was mentioned in the last part, about “skills improvement on community building”, does that something that Reps program gonna provide (like a professional training on community building or something) so we, as the community experts will be able to pass it over to the other community member?

That’s all the questions that I have for now.

1 Like

I totally agreed with @kelimuttu on the concerns.

No, before Mission Driven Mozillians there was the Mobilizer plan and we already defined at time this 2 kind of roles. We chosen to not remove who is already part of the program but also to not accept new people that doesn’t fit the community coordinator role. In few words we are not accepting since more than an year functional leaders inside the program.

This is something that is part of our plans on improving the usage of the report system and also as part of Q3 OKRs as Council we are experimenting an appreciation system to check inactive/active people and inform them about. Anyway that part is on definition so everything is not clear or official.

As part of the OKrs of the previous quarter the council is working to do a course for onboarding (so initially only on new application) that will be required in the future to all the Reps members. This will happen also to the mentors about the course for the new coaching practise that we already have for the new one since an year.

Fair enough. Thanks for the anwers, @Mte90 I’m personally interested to see more of the progress of my 2nd point about the metrics. I hope Reps council will have more update about that soon.

1 Like

First of all, great work and congratulations to everyone involved!

I really liked the part:

creating collaborations with other local communities in an effort to spread Mozilla’s mission and expand Mozilla’s outreach in the open source ecosystem

My questions are about the Review process, but @Mte90 already answered it.

2 Likes

I sometimes being questioned “Oh you are from Mozilla Community, how many members you have now?” Which i’m not sure how to answer. If i give number by how many Firefox users we have, that might be a lot. But usually i reffer to how many Reps we have.

Maybe we could suggest new structure where local communities (country) can also explore with ideas on how identifying people as “member”. Should we simply label people who only come to attend at Mozilla events, as “Mozillians”? Or people can get labeled as “member or Mozillians” when they already agree on some requirements to become “member or Mozillians”. Which these requirements can be adjusted by local community to fit properly on their respective areas. Or we can simply count number of members by checking if they already have mozillians.org account or not. In that case, the Community Coordinator should have list of the members, and make sure that all the members wouldn’t missed any updates or events happening, through their respective local social channels.

We should also consider, that Community Coordinator role is to coordinate a team (people with specific skillsets, tasks, and responsibilities) to work together with him/her. Not a role to coordinate random mass of Mozillians, alone.

1 Like

There was a portal to count the mozillians but I cannot find the link right now.
Looking on about what Mission Driven Mozillians, for us all the people on that portal are mozillians with different level (vouch) that can be volunteers or mozilla employee but also of project outside mozilla like Rust.
As I can remember right now the number of mozillians was like 10000~ at a global level using the numbers of mozillians.

Again as Mission Driven Mozillians there was this plan of experimenting in India with Mission Driven Mozillian - Group Identities Pilot Launch but I think that @lucyeoh can give more information about it.

Yes, exactly is a definition to help to understand the tasks, accountability and focus of the program also in the mozilla communities where we don’t have a lot of people and this is bad.

I think everyone who has contributed actively to a Mozilla related activity for at least 6 months or so should be considered as a mozillians whether he/she has a mozillian account or not. Those who don’t should be encouraged to create it.
Regards,

Gabriela

Well we cannot consider a mozillians only if it is active because there was the headline “Once Mozillian Once forever”, so is better to differentiate between active and inactive and this kind of things are not easy to track. Fro that reason is used Mozillians to track them.

Here’s some info about infrastructure we’re hoping to advance next year that I think would be interesting to this discussion.

In 2019 we hope to be able to start tying contributions to Mozillians profiles so it’ll be easier to see who is currently “active”. It will also mean we could move profile’s into “dormant” (though that doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t Mozillians anymore! Just that they’re not currently active).

That would mean @yofiesetiawan you could give a much more accurate number for the number of active contributors at Mozilla who have a Mozillians profile, as that profile becomes more useful as a way to login to things like Pontoon, Kitsune, maybe even GitHub and bugzilla in the future!

In terms of local community structures we’re currently experimenting in India with a group registration process where groups can have a page and people can register as members of those group, receive emails, be invited to events etc
 This first pilot was capped at 10 groups but if it’s successful we’ll expand it to all of India, and then outward, obviously gathering feedback and learning with each iteration. Right now you don’t need to have a Mozillians profile to join a group but when we build a proper tool we’ll try and make sure it’s integrated into Mozillians.

Lots of cool things coming in 2019 that can help inform this conversation, though, of course, none of this really indicates who is or is not a mozillian, but might throw more tools into the conversation!

3 Likes

I think this is really a good idea, that we can identify which are active and non-active (dormant), by counting from their activity report.

But looking at Reps activity report itself, seems we need to find new way to make it easier for people to do report. For example, maybe Reps can help to put the list of names of Mozillians who are attending or helping to organize events, so that report made by Reps also posted as activity report data from Mozillians who are participated, without needing the Mozillian doing report by themselves.

Yes, that’s why we want to rely on metrics rather than self-reports. If all our tools are able to display contributors activity and we can connect that to a mozillians profile, we could rely on these numbers as accurate.

Regarding once a mozillian always a mozillian, I completely agree with you Daniele. I understand contributors not actually in touch with other contributors or their communities are difficult to track. Maybe using Social Media as Twitter, Facebook and such?

When I started my contributions around 10+ years ago I did them completely by myself. Social Media weren’t as popular as now, but it would have been very useful if I had found Mozilla related activity in those media

Can you elaborate on the hoping part? That would definitely be a great step into the right direction and IMHO should be part of the OKRs for 2019 :wink:

I am glad that this role is being considered and developed, locally I have been missing this type of guide and training but mainly support for years now. In fact I believe this should not be only about the responsibilities but also about
 How will Mozilla Support in a practical way, the work to be developed by Community Coordinators in every country or region?

In fact, it does require big personal effort, time and resources to fulfill the big list of tasks described for the Community Coordinators. I mention this because for Reps, sometimes asking for a mere bag of swag takes weeks even months, not to mention the complex and bureaucratic process of asking for a small budget
 My Rep t-shirt took two years to arrive for example, and not the right size.

This should not be only about the stats and metrics we can generate to feed the matrix but how these Local Community Coordinators would end up filling after a few weeks, months, years.

So it seems to me, as if sometimes office employees have the open ability to easily reach out to decision makers, access support and resources, even to spend on events and trips, while for most Local Reps that idea is far more complex if not a mere dream. It seems as if Local Reps are perceived as not trustworthy people, maybe just an impression but I have seen that happening thru several years. So this new role should have also A PLAN to support Community Coordinators with the appropriate logistical resources in every aspect in the way. Specific roles and responsibilities should match Equal Support from Mozilla.

1 Like

Good question, right now is only with what the program offer like swag/budget and specific teams that send other swags or employee for events.
The point is that as community we need to define a list about where we need support because we know better then Mozilla itself. AS community is better to start to work on our own in this cases and give this information to the Reps Council as example.

That’s true, I can confirm too but this doesn’t mean that only one rep can do that in the community itself. Different reps can work on different things inside the community like the program do now with Onboarding/Resources/Review/Newsletter teams as example.

This problems are now fixed :slight_smile:

This is something not for the role but for the Reps Council to see what is missing right now, we are working on different OKRs in the last Q3 and working on the next one Q3.
As you can see on other post on discourse:

We are in a phase (and there will be new threads) where we are asking feedback like this so the council can work on data and improve all the area where is required.

hoping = this is super dependent on the Mozillians.org roadmap, other team’s willingness and investment in changing their login structures so that it ties into Mozillians, an ongoing investment in Splash etc
 So while CDT has in our 2019 goals to “Create a centralized reliable directory of community members and groups supported by automated systems and processes that allows us to more easily expand, and support our communities towards health and contributions.”

I can’t promise specific capabilities, which are dependent on investments from other teams that are not guaranteed.