Double-press?

I have a number of Sinope Zigbee light switches. I have configured them using the Sinope app and all works well. I particularly like the fact that Sinope supports single presses and double presses, both up and down.

For example, a single “Up” press can turn on light A, but a double “Up” can turn on lights A and B.

This is an important feature to me.

However, the Sinope app only supports its own products, and Sinope does not support a battery operated switch.

This is also important to me because I have a couple of long hallways with switches at one end only! These should have had 3 way switches, but for some inexplicable reason, do not. So when walking these hallways, you’re always in the dark half the time.

My plan would be to replace the existing dumb switch with a smart switch, and then add a battery operated switch at the other end.

I can surely do this using the Webthings gateway, but it doesn’t look like I can create “double press” rules. I’m therefore left with the Sinope gateway controlling some devices and Webthings controlling others; decidedly sub-optimal.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any thoughts.

This is something you could set up with a combination of the timer and counter add-ons. For example:

• Rule 1: If button pressed, increment counter, start timer
  • Rule 2: If timer expires, reset counter
  • Rule 3: If counter == 2, switch on/off light

Thanks for this!

Next thing to do is to figure out the “down” press.

(These switches have 2 buttons.)

Note that the PushButton schema for web things does include a DoublePressedEvent. The SmartThings Button for example can emit this event. You can then select that as an input to a rule as in the screenshot below.

Screenshot from 2020-12-11 13-25-49