Firefox Containers addon disappeared after update

Hello,

my firefox version was recently bumped with a minor update, from 74.0.0 to 74.0.1 and the extension stopped working entirely.

I was looking at the changes introduced in the latest patch (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2020-11/) and clearly they were only related to security fixes, so I wonder how can this patch prevent my addon from working.

I decided to uninstall the addon completely and install it again, just in case to be sure, but the installation is prevented with the following message Installation aborted because the add-on appears to be corrupt.

I looked up the GitHub page for recent issues, but there weren’t any. Also the latest release for this addon is from 28th of February, so if something really went broken I guess it should’ve been fixed by now.

If anyone else is experiencing the same problem, or can give me a heads-up what went wrong, please reply in this thread.

Thank you.

Hi @devzone, sorry for the inconvenience. There are a few things that might be causing this. Can you check in on the following?

• Do you have antivirus software installed?
  • Is your OS clock up-to-date?
  • Does this problem persist if you restart Firefox?

Hey @caitlin, thanks for the reply. No worries, it’s not your fault.

As for the questions you asked, I can assure you, it’s not OS related for sure, I am capable enough of maintaining my OS.

But anyway, won’t hurt if I answer them.

• No, I do not have one, I am using Linux.
  • Yes, all regional settings are up-to date and not affected at all.
  • Yes, it does. The plugin actually disappeared after I restarted firefox. I was able to see it in the list with installed plugins, but the source code was not rendering anything.

Just to let you know, I really use this plugin a lot, so in retrospective, I have completely removed my installation and downloaded the archive for 74.0.0, started it with new profile and I was able to install the plugin with no problems.

I might try to update Firefox once again, since I now know for sure it works under 74.0.0.

Thanks @devzone! Antivirus software and OS clocks are the usual culprits.

Can you file an issue for this? It would be helpful if you could copy/paste the info on about:support into the issue. We’ll take a look at what’s going on.