How did it all start?

I’d like to know when an how did you first get involved volunteering for mozilla and a short or long story about your journey to the council…

2 Likes

I have been using Firefox since 1.0 launch, keep pestering my friends to use it and in sorta of way that was my first involvement as a volunteer with Mozilla, time after that, i joined a pilot program known as Mozilla Student Reps (like FSA) this program then was converted into Mozilla Reps, it was @williamq who told me to join Reps and as i did i went into the amazing world of that we know, later after that i was invited to be a Mentor to share my experiences and knowledge with other Reps, and after a couple of years i finally decided to jump into the Council challenge, i would like to say that it was all thanks to my mentor @deimidis @pierros and @williamq and many others, that i’m here today :smile:

2 Likes

I was an engineer on Netscape 8, the AOL Netscape (pauses for boos) , which actually had two rendering engines: Firefox and IE. That was the big idea - that the user could switch between rendering engines for content that wouldn’t work in one or the other :smiley:

I filed my first bugs during that project, and stayed involved either passively or more actively ever since. I became most activated through Bespin (now cloud writer), Drumbeat and finally Webmaker teaching, which is my favourite. I became a Rep to have tools/swag to run events and teach in schools, and just never looked back. Mentoring is a way to help other people, and helping with council is a way to give back to a program that gave me so much.

2 Likes

Back in 2004 I was already hanging out on the Spanish support forums for Firefox and I saw the mozilla-europe site wasn’t fully in Spanish so I contacted Pascal and he put me in contact with @stripTM who was helping with localization.

I got more and more involved with es and es-ES localizations and events in Spain with Proyecto NAVE group and in 2007 we founded Mozilla Hispano community to gather all Spanish speaking contributors.

@williamq called me a bit later to start shaping what it would become the Reps program and the first provisional Council. After the first elections I become module peer and recently appointed Council member again :wink:

2 Likes

I’m a Firefox user since version 1 and had been part of the local L10n team for the longest time. I was one of the first applicants to the Mozilla Reps program ay back 2011 (from this side of the planet).

1 Like

Mozilla as community start when I saw a talk from Ricardo Meza around 2008, at the end of the talk I talk to him about how I can help, I started helping with the social profiles, and as @thephoenixbird Mozilla student rep (I remember the site was build over ning).

I have an cool history, at 2010 I attend Google IO (I know, I know) and I write to @williamr about visit the Mozilla HQ he was really cool and he help me to arrange the visit. @foxymary gave me and kick ass tour and gift me some cool Mozilla swag that until this day I still have :smile:

For reps @odinm toll me about the program and he invite me to apply, then some things led to other and I become mentor, and then the council.

1 Like

The first browser I used for the first time was Mosaic, followed by Netscape and eventually Firefox…so I started using the first edition of Firefox and enjoy it till today…I’ve rarely used other browsers. Oh, this should not be forgotten…Thunderbird is the only software I have been using for email, specifically for professional use. I have been promoting Firefox and Thunderbird for years in Office or to friends without knowing that I could get involved. However, I join the newsletter from Mozilla. Things started with Student Campus Reps and spread Firefox; and in 2012 I learned about the Reps program that I joined the same year…I still here and got involved in many other programs…Cheers!