How to download all project's translation resources in a single zip file?

Hello,

I’m Corsican coordinator and translator for several Mozilla projects.

I’m no longer able to download all the translation files of a project in a single zip file. It looks to be a recent change on Pontoon because I was able to do that in last August.

I can still download a single translation file using “Download Translations” but this option is only at resource level, and no longer at project level; which isn’t easy for projects such as Firefox for Android (35 resources) or Mozilla VPN (18 resources).

Below is an extract of the Documentation for Mozilla localizers in Chapter Downloading and uploading translations

Anyone can download a terminology (.tbx), translation memory (.tmx) and translations, while only translators can upload translations. When downloading translations:

• The resource currently selected is downloaded in its original format, it’s not converted in any way.
  • If the project contains more than 10 files, download is performed file-by-file. For larger projects a ZIP of all files is downloaded.

Did I miss something? Please can you shed some light on this?

Best regards,
Patriccollu.

Hi Patriccollu,

Thank you for reaching out. Looking into this, it appears there was a discrepancy between Pontoon and the documentation.
This line was incorrect:

If the project contains more than 10 files, download is performed file-by-file. For larger projects a ZIP of all files is downloaded.

This has been corrected to:

If the project contains multiple files, a ZIP of all files is downloaded. If the project contains more than 10 files, download is performed file-by-file.

As to why this was working for you in August and no longer working now, in the case of Mozilla VPN for example, it appears the number of files had increased beyond 10 since that time.

There already appears to be an issue filed for adding the ability to download all files as a zip for larger projects, but the likelihood of that being implemented soon is low.

As a potential work around, you could go to the project’s repository via the link under Repository at the top of the Pontoon project:
Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 15.33.17

Then download all the files by clicking Code then Download ZIP (unfortunately this includes all files, not just the ones for your locale):
Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 15.33.40

Then you can find your locale’s files in that zip (for example for VPN):
Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 15.38.01

Best regards,
Bryan

1 Like

Hi Bryan,

Thanks a lot for your answer and for this work around whis is perfect! Indeed, it’s pretty fast to suppress some files or folders in a zip file.

Best regards,
Patriccollu.

1 Like