How to use an AddOn

Hello,

I downloaded a few AddOns on Fireforx but I have no idea how to actually use them. I cannot find them, I don’t know where to open them after I download them. For example, I downloaded the Save to PDF one but I have no idea how to actually save a website as a pdf. Please, can someone help me?

Thank you very much.

Hey Violeta,

After downloading an Addon for Firefox, its icon should appear in the top right, next to the menu button. If not, click the menu button > Extensions and select Extensions on the left to check that your extension has been installed and enabled.

In the case of the Save as PDF extension (which I assume is this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/save-as-pdf/), just click the blue and orange icon and after a few seconds you should be prompted to save or open the PDF, as you would with any other download.

Screenshot from 2020-11-23 18-39-27

Oddly enough I don’t have any extension appearing on the top right corner :frowning: even though they are all enabled.

That certainly is pretty strange. Are you using any custom themes for Firefox?
I’d also recommend:

• Toggling the Addons on and off in the Addon menu to see if the icon appears
  • Going to the Customize menu and seeing if you can add icons for your extensions by dragging+dropping them onto your menu bar

Screenshot from 2020-11-23 19-06-11

• Hitting Restore Defaults at the bottom of the Customize menu and try the above

Let me know if any of this helps!

1 Like

A common reason for not seeing extensions is if you have your browser set to “permanent private browsing”, where all data is deleted whenever the browser is closed. If that’s the case, you’ll have to allow extensions to run in private windows (you can toggle that in the extension detail page when you click on the extension in the list you posted a screenshot of).

1 Like

I don’t recommend the “Print to PDF” extension because it requires excessive permissions for what it offers. My notes on PDF extensions can be found here:

https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ext/pdf-converters.html

Yes, turns out this was the reason! Thank you so much for your help!