Hey Common Voice Community,
Thank you so much for all your efforts this year. As the year comes to an end, I would like to highlight some achievements we have made together.
2021 in Review
- 18,000 hours: We doubled the size of the dataset this year - going from 9,000 hours in Dec 2020 to 18,000 hours today
- 87 languages: We went from 60 languages to 87, with representation from every inhabited continent
- 450,000 contributors: The number of volunteers who have contributed to Common Voice
- New features: Accent capture, downloading your own data, localisation of the sentence collector. Special thanks to Micheal, Bülent and Alex for your code contributions.
- Participation: We onboarded and have held three Common Voice Language Rep sessions, discussing topics such about page, accent, variant and languages. Members have hosted local events and created campaigns.
I look forward to seeing what we can achieve and support each other in 2022
Calls for Proposals for Low Bandwidth Contribution has been extended till the end of March. If you have a technical or alternative idea you could get up to $5000 to support your proposal and learn how you can apply by reading our blog.
- Introducing the Common Voice Language Reps 2021/2022, In September, we started our search for Common Voice language Rep Council members through an open call. Check our collaborative blog, where reps share their views as to why common voice is important to them.
- A Gender Action Plan to Make Voice Technology More Inclusive, learn about the work of Rebecca, Kiswahili Community Fellow has been leading to address gender inequity for Common Voice Kiswahili Community.
All the best as we enter the new year !
PS. Please note Mozilla Foundation will be closed for 23rd December till 3rd January. I will be available until 21st December.