Linking ADB commands

Hi

As part of my work as a contributor supporting our awesome Android products, I sometimes use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) to take screenshots. To do this I have to type (in terminal, after connecting):

• adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/filename.png (to take the screenshot)
  • adb pull /sdcard/filename.png /tmp (to move the screenshot from the Android device to my laptop)
  • adb shell rm /sdcard/filename.png (to delete the screenshot from the Android device)

It is really cool but is a bit fiddly to keep typing in, especially if you are taking a number of screenshots. Does anyone know how I could link these commands together and what the result could look like?

Welcome peoples thoughts, thank you for your input.

(Leo McArdle) #2

Can you use the && operator to turn it into a one-liner?

adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/filename.png && adb pull /sdcard/filename.png /tmp && adb shell rm /sdcard/filename.png

Or is the issue there you need to specify a unique screenshot name? Then a script might do the job for you:

#!/bin/bash

NAME=$1

adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/$NAME.png
adb pull /sdcard/$NAME.png /tmp
adb shell rm /sdcard/$NAME.png

Save that somewhere and then run chmod +x script-name.sh to make it executable:

./script-name.sh screenshot-name

Would save it as screenshot-name.png

Or you could even get the script to name the screenshot with a date and time by replacing NAME=$1 above with something like:

NAME=`date -Iseconds`

Thanks @leo , the && approach is exactly what I was looking for! Awesome!

I will be doing further work with this to embed it in something, but hope to be able to share the results here very soon so that others can use it.

(rugk) #4

BTW, usually something like /usr/local/bin is recommend and would be an appropriate place.