Making sense of the different paths

Hey there,

I’m studying programming to make a career shift towards web/software development. I have a solid grasp of the basics of JS, just now starting to get into OOP for the first time. I’ve done a bit of HTML and CSS in the past, but it’s been years. I’m interested in learning both the front-end and the back-end.

The MDN education material looks very promising, but I’m not sure where to start. In the ‘References & Guides’ menu, there’s:

• Learn web development
  • Tutorials
  • Developer Guides
  • Under ‘Learn web development’, there’s also a link to a ‘Front-end web developer’ course.

All seem to have some kind of structured approach to learning, and I’m not sure which ‘path’ to pick to not miss any important material or practice. Any guidance would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello @Paintblob

start from here

and for more in depth details

for html

for css

for js

and there are extra references https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web depend on what you want to learn

@justsomeone Thank you! I’m wondering though: by doing the front-end path, wouldn’t I skip all back-end material, like this here? I’d like to learn both, so I wasn’t sure if there’s also some kind of path/structure for that, as some lessons don’t seem to be part of a particular path.

you very welcome @Paintblob

js framwrok like node relay on your knowledge of js and html and css which you will learn on the link i mentioned

also on the left side of this link

you can see at the end of the page that it has links to the server side

Thanks @justsomeone. I think I glanced over the server-side links because they are not mentioned in the rest of the page - but I guess that’s because back-end can’t be part of a front-end course ;).

you welcome
not sure why but could be cause some only use html and css and js for front end and use other language for backend
good luck on your journey and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like