"Marking up a letter" assesment

Hello everyone

Im new in coding, trying to learn on my own from home. Spent till now 2 weaks of learning HTML and little CSS.
I would be glad to hear from you criticism of my work, to improve my skills.

Thank’s.

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<meta name="author" content="Miss Eileen Dover">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/style.css">

</head>

<body>

<header>                        <br>                                          

<div class="sender-column">

<strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>

<address>Awesome Science faculty<br>

University of Awesome<br>

Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>

USA<br>

<b>Tel</b>: 123-456-7890<br>

<b>Email</b>: no_reply@example.com<br>

<br>

</address>

<time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time><br>                            

</div>

<b>Miss Eileen Dover</b><br>

<address>4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>

Dover, CT9 XXX<br>

UK

</address>      

</header>

<h1>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h1>

<p>Dear Eileen,<br>

<br>

Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part<br>

of your <abbr title="Philosophie Doctor">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>

<main>

<article>

<h2>Starting dates</h2>

<p>We are happy to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you<br>

could start at the beginning of a <u>semester;</u> the start dates for each one are as follows:

<ul>

<li><time datetime="2017-09-15">First semester: 9 September 2016</time></li>

<li><time datetime="2017-01-15">Second semester: 15 January 2017</time></li>

<li><time datetime="2017-5-02">Third semester: 2 May 2017</time></li>

</ul>

Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.<br>

<br>

You can find more information about <a href="http://example.com">important university dates</a> on our website.</p>

</article>

<article>

<h2>Subjects of study</h2>

<p>At the <u>Awesome Science Faculty,</u> we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall<br>

somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just<br>

the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued<br>

by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<ol>

<li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>

<li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the<br>

audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 &times; 10<sup>3</sup> &gt; 3 &times; 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>

<li><abbr title="Hyper Text Markup Language"> HTML </abbr>and <abbr title="Cascading Stylesheets"> CSS </abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>

</ol>

So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect<br>

the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.

</article>

<article>

<h2>Exotic dance moves</h2>

<p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question,<br>

my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>

<!--Description List-->  

<dl>

<dt><ins>Polynesian chicken dance</ins></dt>

<dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="Bankro Cirektr">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around<br>

in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".</dd>

<dt><ins>Icelandic brownian shuffle</ins></dt>

<dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which<br>

involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptibly<br>

tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired<br>

modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>

<dt><ins>Arctic robot dance</ins></dt>

<dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have<br>

discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants<br>

of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this<br>

because they were really cold.</dd>

</dl>

<!--End of Description list-->

</article>

</main>

<footer>

<br>

<p>For more of my research, see my <a href="http://example.com">exotic dance research page.</a><br></span>

<br>

Yours sincerely,<br>

<br>

Dr Eleanor Gaye<br>

<br>

University of Awesome motto: "Be awesome to each other." -- <em>Bill S Preston,

<abbr title="Escaping Science Quilification">Esq.</abbr></em><br>

<br>

</p>

</footer>

</body>

Hello @Apanha

you doing great well done just some notice here :

1. it better to put your code on any online sevice like codepen.io or jsfiddle

2. no need to use div in the first address and dr. elanor text is part of the address

3. it’s better to use strong instead of b

4. there special use case for a element for telephone and email you can use it if you like check the demo here https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/a

5. for the time of the first address you can wrap it with p element as it not part of the address and give it the same class as you did with the address

6. fix the second address same as the first one

7. not sure what that mean Bankro Cirektr but bc mean before christ

8. this Be awesome to each other. should be a quote element and The memoirs of Bill S Preston, Esq is it’s cite element

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for advises.
Have a nice day u too )

you welcome and thanks a lot :slight_smile:

@Apanha if you want to use Codepen, you can use the following pen to get started quickly. https://codepen.io/mdnwebdocs/pen/BaYjVXL

You just need to create a free account on Codepen and then fork the above. See the video below for some guidance.

Schalk
Staff Community Manager - MDN Web Docs

1 Like

Thanks for advice, ill check that. :wink: