MDN plus is live!

[quote=“mikoMK, post:20, topic:95019, full:true”]

@bedribulut I will soon :slightly_smiling_face:

I really do appreciate for your kindness and help Michael.

1 Like

An update on this everyone!

It is now possible for MDN users around the globe to create an MDN Plus free account, no matter where you are.

Also the premium version of the service will be available in 16 more countries: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Sweden, Singapore, Switzerland, and Spain. The MDN team works towards expanding this list even further.

1 Like

Hi! First of all thanks a lot for everything you guys do to make all this content available to everyone, everywhere!
Regarding MDN Plus, I am from Lahore, Pakistan; however, only the free tier is available to me. I really wanted to support MDN and get the paid version, but I guess it’s not available in my country.
In this list of countries that you can get the premium version, I only see a few famous countries. But this is not about MDN only. For example, Amazon is not available in my country, neither is Paypal, etc. Which got me thinking why is Pakistan never in these lists? I would really appreciate any explanation. Thanks and have a nice day :smiley:

1 Like

Also, I do not mind any harsh facts (for example, inefficient law protection against illegal use of copyrighted material etc.) I just wanted to know what are some factors that go into deciding which countries to provide the premium feature. I do not think it is because of few people using, or willing to spend, because India is also not supported, and India is probably the second biggest market (next to United States) in educational content.

1 Like

I only know of the existence of legacy export restrictions and embargoes, though nothing specific applicable today I hope. It might at one point have been a UN issue even.
Them might need to be, in our jargon, deprecated or re-examined at some point if they still exist.

This is from my youth/childhood: Pakistan had a scary regime and was developing nuclear technologies. That scared people.

1 Like

Hi @akaAbdullahMateen and @boiert,

There are a couple of reasons:

1. MDN Web Docs is managed by a small team inside Mozilla and supporting a paid product is new to us. To ensure we offer everyone the best possible experience we are starting small and rolling out gradually to other countries.
  2. We can also only launch in countries (a constantly growing list) where Mozilla is able to transact based on our service provider.

Our ultimate goal is to offer our readers world wide the option to subscribe to our paid offerings if they so wish but, this is going to take some time. Thank you so much for wanting to support MDN Web Docs. Keep an eye on our Twitter(@MozDevNet) account or the Hacks blog (https://hacks.mozilla.org) for announcements as we roll out to more countries.

2 Likes

shalom, I purchased the mdn plus to use offline but Im having problems installing the pwa, I was referred to this site and two others for a solution. I was told to install from the chrome and that chrome would than guide me on the installation through pop ups on myscreen this did not happen and I dont know what to do.can you help?