Mixpanel for analytics

We want to include some basic usage analytics in our extension. I know mozilla is big on privacy which I love, but I think basic usage analytics is still ethical.

We followed the blog post Using Google Analytics in Extensions and it worked for three weeks and then following an update it stopped working in a very peculiar way. We’ve poured over the code and haven’t figured out the problem.

In case you’re curious here is the yet unanswered stack overflow question that explains the whole thing.

Given that google analytics isn’t working for us, we wanted to know if mixpanel is used by anyone for their firefox extensions. We also want to make sure mixpanel’s javascript api is acceptable given mozilla’s strict review process. The part that worries me is the bit that says

Paste the following snippet into the <head> and </head> tags on the page that you want to track.

and also

Some users have reported receiving an error similar to the following in the console when implementing with the JavaScript library, which is related to Chrome’s Content Security Policy: "Mixpanel error: ‘mixpanel’ object not initialized. Ensure you are using the latest version of the Mixpanel JS Library along with the snippet we provide.”

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE: I found an option to use mixpanel from a node package (rolled up into the extension with a build tool) instead of loading a content script. I think this method should be okay with the reviewers but not 100% positive.

If you truely love it, why do you counteract the privacy notion?

1 Like

Regarding Policy, I think as long as you have Opt-in and full disclosure, it doesn’t really matter whether you use one analytics service or another. But you can read more here: https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/publish/add-on-policies/#data-disclosure-collection-and-management

1 Like

Is collecting anonymized usage analytics automatically an invasion of privacy? I personally don’t think so, but I’m open to hearing otherwise