I think this is a great idea!
I see a couple competing use cases here:
- Users everyone should monitor and will eventually block or remove from the monitoring list.
- Individuals wanting to monitor individual users.
I think the feature looks pretty different depending on which way we want to go.
- spam admins only
- emails to the entire list
- adding or removing someone does it to the entire list
=> this would look a lot like the current spam monitoring tools
- individuals identify individuals to watch
- adding or removing someone only effects your list
=>this might look a lot like the “watch” feature for pages edits only for users
The user watching feature could probably be used for spam monitoring but spam monitoring feature would not be much help user mentoring.
As Kadir said, most spammers are caught with a first edit so maybe the user watching feature would be more useful to more people?