"Adopting" Mozilla Wiki

Before I say anything else: No, I’m not suggesting we take over maintaining Mozilla Wiki.

The Mozilla Wiki as it is, is being attacked by spam pretty much 24/7. That shouldn’t be happening. I’m not really sure what’s going on, but not much has been done about it. I’m wondering if we could work with corp. IT and work out a plan to prevent this spam, test this plan on a staging environment, and then help Mozilla IT deploy it.

Part of the reason I’m suggesting this is to maybe get more contributors - there’s a WikiMo Working Group (or I got an email about one, at least /cc @ckoehler), maybe we could work with them? MW doesn’t have a huge learning curve, even from the backend side of things. Several Mozillians list MediaWiki as a skill on their Mozillians profile, so this might be a good first step to getting them more involved in cIT. We wouldn’t have to give anybody access to production servers, though a development server would probably be helpful.

(since I’m not sure how many of you watch this category…) @mrz, @wdowling, @tad, @yousef, @logan: What do you think of this?

The Wiki Working Group is working with IT about the spam issue. The short-term plan is to require new users to verified and added to an editors group before they can create or edit pages. This work is being tracked in bug 987187. If you have feedback or comments specific to the current spam issue and our proposed short-term solution, please use that bug.

Anyone is welcome to join the Wiki Working Group. We’re just getting going, but have a draft roadmap that includes spam prevention and much more.

2 Likes