NASA releases all their multimedia under Public Domain

Hi,

I’ve just seen that NASA has releases their multimedia db in the public domain. It seems they also have audios with text transcriptions like this one.

Wondering how difficult would be to scrap all audios and texts to match and use with deep speech.

4 Likes

Links do not seem to work.

Fixed the link.

@leo it seems discourse link preview doesn’t like urls with spaces and breaks them

1 Like

Where does it indicate it’s under Public Domain? There’s a link to Media Usage Guidelines which states that for commercial use that…

Any questions regarding use of NASA content, or any NASA image or emblem should be directed to Bert Ulrich of the Multimedia Division of NASA’s Office of Communications at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

Also for commercial use it states…

Current NASA employees, including astronauts, may not appear in commercial material.

So we’d have to filter out all people who still work at NASA from the audio?

I saw the news on Twitter, on the same page I also read

NASA material is not protected by copyright unless noted. If copyrighted, permission should be obtained from the copyright owner prior to use. If not copyrighted, NASA material may be reproduced and distributed without further permission from NASA.

So you’d have to determine the copyright holder for each section of audio and sign a license with each copyright holder? This doesn’t seem to be what I think of when I say “public domain”.

Also the copyright holder is not clearly indicated for the audio. For example, I don’t see any indication of who the copyright holder is for the audio you linked to.

Isn’t everything the federal government creates public domain by default? That page says “is not protected by copyright unless noted”, so if you can’t find any copyright info for a clip, it seems reasonable to assume it isn’t copyrighted.

I’d be happy to parse / scrape it if it’s determined to be public domain.

Yes that’s generally the case.

Under 17 U.S. Code § 105, “Copyright protection under this title is not available for any work of the United States Government”. A “work of the United States Government” is defined as “a work prepared by an officer or employee of the United States Government as part of that person’s official duties”.

And how is this handled?

Current NASA employees, including astronauts, may not appear in commercial material.

I think that’s a question that would need advice from Mozilla’s legal team. Maybe it’s OK if the speaker is not identified/obviously identifiable. But I agree that without specific legal advice this isn’t a resource that should be used.