New generation "pop-up" blocker?

(mmm wax) #1

Not sure how to phrase this, but I’m aware that “real” pop-ups/unders open an actual new window or tab. Much more common these days are the annoying giant ads that pop up IN THE SAME TAB as you are reading a webpage, thus blocking the view. Sometimes hitting Esc gets rid of them, sometimes not. What’s the proper name for these, and is there any add-on that blocks these? I assume the answer is no, but I thought I’d ask.


(Martin Giger) #2

Mozilla calls them “In-Page Popups” and had created a reporting extension for these: Not sure how that project is going.

Some also call them overlays or dialogs.

I think uBlock and similar can block some of these “annoyances” but by far not all of them.


(Baptiste Thémine) #3

I created a little addon for this purpose, available on AMO and for Chrome.