Nightly 70.0a1 This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be damaged

I’m trying to package a Firefox extension that I developed but when I try to install it it tells me: This add-on couldn’t be installed because it seems to be damaged. I have already tried with Firefox Quantum and Nightly version to see if the versions had something to do but nothing, I followed the MDN instructions and neither, I do it to the letter, I select the files but not the folder, I compress it in .ZIP format and then I change the extension to .XPI.

Also I have followed all the instructions of the Next Thread in Stackoverflow, still nothing, I have tried to make the compression with 7-Zip that I have read that it is more recommendable, neither, and well, it is necessary to clarify that with Winrar also I have tried. I don’t think the problem is with the extension because it works perfectly when I try it in debug mode. I leave my directory tree for what it’s worth.

FOLDER
├───content
│   ├───info.html
│   └───popup.html
├───images
│   ├───baricon.png
│   ├───icono128.png
│   ├───icono16.png
│   └───icono48.png
├───js
│   └───myjs.js
├───style
│   ├───css.css
│   └───materialize.css
├───background.js
└───manifest.json

Annex that the browser console launches the following error when trying to install the .XPI file:

1563062531180 addons.xpi WARN Invalid XPI: Error: Extension is invalid(resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm:465:17) JS Stack trace:

Among other things but that’s the main line.

How are you trying to install it? Is the invalid error the only logging in the browser console?

I solved the problem, I had to change the ID of the extension and now runs well in Nightly, now I have a question, I will never be able to install the extension in Firefox Quantum? Because I’ve already uploaded it and it’s in revision, I can install it in Nightly normally, but when I try to install it in Quantum he says “The download failed. Check your connection”. Obviously I’m connected to the internet, I don’t know if this error is while checking the extension or I’m doing something wrong. I enclose the errors that the Console of the browser throws at me.

It appears the xpi you’re installing isn’t signed yet. You will get a notification by email once you can download the signed XPI from addons.mozilla.org

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt response. Yes, it’s my first extension so I guess that’s right, it’s in revision queue, one last thing, Once they sign the xpi file I have to upload it to the Developer Center? And how do I upload new versions based on the signed xpi file?

When AMO signs the XPI you either chose to distribute it yourself, or if it’s listed it will show up on the site. You don’t have to do anything if you chose to have the extension listed to get the signed version onto AMO. See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/Distribution for documentation on how all your options work.

1 Like

Perfect, that documentation is going to come very well to me, thank you very much, and you can give for closed the subject.