Persian/Farsi TTS

Wanted to run Mozilla TTS on Persian text and was unable to do so. Doing this requires me to read almost every thing about it and get go deep in there. Wanted to post something in here so that if someone can help linking a google colab notebook others can also benefit from.
Please write where can I start to be able to make Mozilla TTS work on Persian. (I believe there exists enough data on Mozilla common-voice and there should be some audio books out there too.)

This reads like you are asking others to do the work for you. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

You are right and I don’t want people to do the work for me. All I’m asking is to give me hints and knowledge they know. If someone knows much he/she is able to guide me/and others how to approach this problem and if there exists any materials/codes.

@sanjaesc is right, you will have to put a lot of time into it as this is not some ready to use software. If you want to do the work, this repo by @mrthorstenm has everything you need to train a German model.

1 Like

Hi @i3130002, I may be able to help :slight_smile:

I work on Rhasspy, a free & open source voice assistant that works offline. We’re always looking to add new languages, both for speech recognition and text to speech.

I have a fork of MozillaTTS that I’ve trained 6 voices with so far. If you’d like to collaborate, let me know.

We may be able to use existing speech data if there’s enough and it’s good quality. Another option (if you have a good microphone) is to have you or another native speaker record a set of phrases that are phonetically “rich”. I’ve built a tool to help find these phrases, though I’d need to add Persian/Farsi sounds.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, I emailed you so that we can start cooperating.

1 Like

@othiele How could this repo helps to see the modification that sould be done to train TTS on another language?

1 Like

Usually one learns by copying what others are doing and then you adapt it to your own needs. So I suggested you copy how we did it and then you can change stuff for Persian. If you already did that, what exactly is your question? And as @sanjaesc said, please don’t ask us do it all for you. Btw, @synesthesiam offered his excellent repo as well. Same there, study and then ask detailed questions.

2 Likes

Thank you, @othiele. If you do come across people who aren’t able to do it themselves for under-served languages, please send them my way. I’m willing to do a lot of the work as long as I have a native speaker to consult with :slight_smile:

1 Like

@synesthesiam Great to hear that and thanks for all the work you put into new models. Will send people your way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are your models open? Would you mind sharing to link on https://github.com/mozilla/TTS/wiki/Released-Models