Please return old search bar

(Eugene Seppel) #1

Hello!
I still need to use old Firefox (Firefox ESR) because in new Firefox Quantum search bar is completely brakes my user experience. It’s quite impossible to use this “one-click search”. I need to search with different engines (Vocabulary, Wikipedia, Enterprise Confluence and Jira) but mostly on Google. Previously it was possible to do a fast search w/o changing a default engine, w/o any mouse clicks, but now, if I need to perform several searches with Vocabulary for instance, I need to find Vocabulary icon (icons are w/o text) and click on them. I think the idea “lets brake everything because we think that our own way of usage is more convenient for all end-users” is a very bad idea. I use Firefox since it was Phoenix, why I should to fit another people? Return that option please!
Thanks in advance!

(Mikehussy2018) #2

I agree with you. We have mail server which was compatible with older version and can use attachments . But currently we can’t upload any attachment with this current version . Not sure it is the version problem or not

(Gabriel Pinzón) #3

There’s another reason why Firefox Quantum should have the previous/old search bar: when in a certain moment you want to make a few searches and you also need autocompletion from a particular search site that you usually won’t set as your favorite one (e.g. Wikipedia, WordReference, Youtube): it was better and faster to be able to change the default search engine with 2 clicks (so I’ll have the autocompletion from that search site instead) than having to enter the search configuration to change it all the times I need so (this is a big waste of time). Also it’s was way better to have the name of the default search engine shown in the search bar because making all those changes makes you forget which one is the browser’s current default search engine.

My suggestion to improve the search bar is this one: revert to the appearance and functions of the previous/old search bar and give the right-click button the less-desired options “Go to this [search engine’s] homepage” and “Search in new tab”.

And about losing the option of sending your search to a different site without making that site your default search engine (one-time search), my guess is that few people will miss this function because it’s not so common to do only a search (or even only two consecutive searches) within certain engine (maybe except Google or your favorite search engine).

(Eugene Seppel) #4

Or would better to add an option to chose the behaviour – old or new one. Previously, before Quantum, it was possible to return old behaviour in about:config or by using 3rd party addons like Classic Theme Restorer

(Julien Tane) #5

it is probably not exactly the same thing but you can use keywords for searches in URL bar.

For example:

eco mozilla

it returns also some searches with suggest.

it returns also old searches…

(Eugene Seppel) #6

Not same. For instance, for me default search is Google. But if I read page in foreign language I use “Google translate” search engine to translate certain words with context menu. In this case with old Firefox only thing that needed is to select “Google translate” in dropdown menu. With new Firefox I should change default search engine every time in settings that is boring. Also I should do a lot of mouse movements and clicks, previously all was possible to do with keyboard only.

I really wonder if the developers of Firefox Quantum ever worked with the search bar. It became obviously so cumbersome that you can’t really work with it any more. The search bar was in the past the reason why Firefox became so popular. Now, there is actually no difference any more compared to Chrome or Edge.

The efficient workflow in the past was like this:

1. Select with one click a search engine for the next few queries (e.g. for translation)
  2. Enter Text and press Enter or Alt+Enter to get a new tab.
  3. Repeat 2. several times until your work is done

This is the same work flow when working with real books:

1. You go to the book shelf, take out a dictionary and put it on your desk.
  2. You search a word and leave the page open.
  3. You repeat 2. several times until your work is done

Now this is totaly messed up. And you need more steps. When you set a search engine as default, the list of search engines will become disordered. Imagine all this with books. Every time you search something, your books jumps back into the book shelf. And you have first to look for a certain page with the word to search and then you have to select the book in the shelf. And you have to take the book every time again from the shelf. And when you set a default book, the order of books in your shelf is messed up.

So again: Please return the old search bar!