My name is Vishal and I have been working on a guided tour for Pontoon as part of Google Summer of Code. Since active user participation and onboarding is one of the key components for the achievement of Pontoon’s goal towards localization, a guided tour can help creating an ideal funnel experience for the users to get on board and learn how to use it. If users understand Pontoon well enough, then they are more likely to use it.
- Add a dummy project which each user can use as they wish, without impacting other users (can be used for demo and playing around)
- Take the 1st time user directly to the translate page of dummy project and start the guided tour.
- The tour would just introduce the user to some parts of the Translation UI and guide them to suggest the translation of a string.
- Keep the guided tour as short as possible. More parts of translation UI will be introduced through the use of strings in dummy project itself.
- When the tour finishes we can give the user 3 options:
- Go and translate some strings in live projects.
- Move ahead towards fluent tutorial.(optional)
- Stay on the dummy project; play around and explore more features.
Guided Tour :
- Demo: https://imgur.com/a/crPnQ7k
- Demo-code: https://github.com/VishalCR7/pontoon/tree/tour-demo-3
- Used Translation UI and How to Translate as a reference.
Dummy Project :
- Something similar to the sample project of smartcat.ai (accessible after login) in which the strings guide the user and tell about various features. (Screenshot )
- Planning to focus the strings on use of Translation Resources and Search/Filter
I hope upon completion, this helps new users get around the app by improving the path to the first contribution. I’m very happy to answer any questions and to read any feedback you have about this!
Since, It’s almost the complete of GSoC 2018, Following is the summary of my work during this period:
The guided tour has been successfully implemented and will be accessible through the “Take A Tour” CTA on the new homepage (Link to PR ).
The tour shows up only on a single project and we now have a project named “tutorial” added for this purpose. As proposed, the strings in the “Tutorial” project guides the user further.
The project along with the tour can be accessed Here
Further, for authenticated users, We also have the state of the tour saved after each step so that the tour continues from the step the user left and didn’t have to go through it again (Link to PR).
Hiding the “Tutorial” project from dashboards preventing stats calculations. We also have a discussion open regarding storing the translations for the project and visibility to other users.
Adding keyboard navigation e.g. left/right arrow for letting the user move back and forth in the tour.
Also, there are plans for adding a tutorial for usage of fluent editor in Pontoon.
Not ‘the end’
I’d like to thank the complete Pontoon team especially my mentors for the constant support and motivation. Had they not been, the project wouldn’t have been a successful one.
It has been a thrilling summer overall. I’m now familiar with a large part of the code base and would continue to contribute to the project and keep learning and improving myself. GSoC is not the end.