Quantum doesn't support Scrapbook! I've lost all my work

Not too helpful but all of my scrapbook data is stored in the cache.rd file in the default directory. However, it’s all text, unformatted. If I could arrange the text autmagically into a list, at least, I could view the content. There is n

Not sure where this previous post got garbled but I meant to write that I do have all of the scrapbook data in text. It is not easy, finding a webpage doesn’t exist unless I do a keyword search and then I can see the text but really hard to wade through

OK, I have had PaleMoon, a FF variant, installed and had the scrapbook addon. It still can open all of my scrapbook saves. So an option would be to download and install PaleMoon and add the scrapbook addon. It should find your cache and open the pages as normal. If you, like me, want that addon but only with FF then yeah, downgrade as suggested. I can do it from my repos to FF45 or download an older version and run it alongside FF57.
I ended up uninstalling quantum and installed FF56 and that works.

Hi, I had the similar problem and I found following workaroud:

• For Quantum I use the Win 64 version and use it for current and future purpose
  • In addition I installed the 32 bit version of Firefox 56.0 and disabled immediately the auto update function (see settings - best set it to “ask me for update” already in Quantum before installing 56.0)
  • I use the 32 bit version so I am able to use both version concurrently (not at the same time but alternatively)
  • After starting the 56.0 all my Scrapbook entries have been visible as before NOTHING was lost
  • I am using Scrapbook 1.5.14
  • Scrapbook 1.5.14 can create an index HTML file of all your entries. This feature does not recreate anything it just adds a new HTML file with an index to all your scrapbook entries. I have used the option “create index in iframe” (or similiar) and start HTML after creation.
    -If you have done that a list with all the folders and entries of your scrapbook will apear in the browser window. Create a bookmark for this list
    -Start Quantum again and load that bookmark. and save it in Quantum if not done yet.
  • Now you can use your “old” entries in Quantum BUT you cannot alter it anymore.
  • To alter your Scrapbook you have to do it using Foirefox 56.0 or below and create the HTML Index again.

I use this approach to keep my old entries and for all futuire “scraps” I try to find another Scrapbook extension which comes close to this fabolous old one and supports the new firefox engine.

English is not my first language therefore there might be some errors but I hope I could help you !

Regards from Germany

Yes, Scrapbook and the way Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar behaves are two key pieces of functionality that keep me in FF - and lost them both in the Scrotum upgrade.

For anyone else looking to downgrade here’s a tip: TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES BEFORE YOU DELETE 57!!! As soon as I deleted 57 and reinstalled 55, it started automatically reinstalling 57! (There were two tick boxes - not just automatic updates but “use a background service”… Both need to be unticked for you to be safe!).

I know the Scrapbook guys don’t want to put the effort in, but if anyone gets Scrapbook working again, that would be extra groovy.

Hi @volga12, you might want to try Search by Image as an alternative to your previous Search by Image extension. Let me know how it goes.

Search by Image IS off topic, but for a list of some options, see a post I made on Reddit yesterday: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/7fbo2t/google_image_search/dqasoyq/

Hi all, shameless plug. I’m working on PageDash, and alternative for Scrapbook. It is cloud-hosted, and currently only Chrome-extension. I’ve just finished the port to Firefox, and will be submitting the PageDash Firefox extension real soon. Cheers.

EDIT: Firefox port is live! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pagedash-web-clipper/

1 Like

Will it import from pre-Fusion FF Scrapbook?

Thanks for the comment. Did you mean pre-Quantum Scrapbook?

The way PageDash works is exactly the same as Scrapbook (files in a one-level flat directory for every page). I will work on an importer and update here soonish.

1 Like

Hah! Yeah, that’s exactly what I meant.

Now if you could get a way to “fix” the new Home Page multiple tabs screen… Quantum would be OK. (I like that in pre-57, I could actually read the headlines on my tabs… Now the icons are way too small!)

1 Like

Interesting extension. But the need for registration and online storage is somewhat inconvenient for me. With Scrapbook I have an independent database of saved pages (lessons, tips, tutorials). I can view it regardless of the Internet connection. This is the main convenience of Scrapbook. I use one .css file for all pages, so it’s good that the pages can be edited. Cloud storage is devoid of these advantages. Nevertheless, the idea is wonderful and will certainly be popular if you make it comfortable. Unfortunately, as a good replacement for the Scrapbook is not suitable.

2 Likes

Yes, we are talking about the same functionallity. Is there a way that I can automatically find out when there is a new Scrapbook (or equivalent) that works with Quantum? I would like to load Quantum but cannot do so without Scrapbook functionallity. Do I just have to follow the Forum discussion forever do you think?

I have so far found a temporary way for this problem: I installed Pale Moon with Scrapbook, and updated Firefox (he became really faster, but there are a few unusual or uncomfortable moments for me). This is a little awkward decision, I hope it is temporary.

For FF quantum there is web scrapbook made by the same developer who made scrapbookX. Although it’s features is rather limited compared to the old addon due to the limitations of webextension it seems.

Download a copy of tor. You should then be able to add scrapbook to it through mozilla addons. Once that is done you will need to locate the scrapbook folder I don’t know where it is at since I put mine in in the folder with firefox portable. I have the scrapbook rdf file which I can install in any firefox clone simply opening it with the exe of that clone. Some one with more technical knowledge needs to download the addons from mozilla and make them available to the public. Mozilla does not own those programs.

I refuse to update FF to 57 as long as scrapbook or a good substitute are not available.
I had 56 running with the option that I decide on loading and installing FF updates.
To get rid of the annoying messages, inviting me to update, yesterday I changed the update options to let FF not check on new updates, and set the background services off.
This morning I switched on my computer and got an instant update of FireShot and FF to 57. I did not even launch FF.
This makes me mad!
As expected, scrapbook is inactive.
I want to return to FF56, but the update killed my old profile.
Can I recuperate my old profile? How can I prevent that FF hits me again?

2 Likes

I kept quantum for one day. As soon as I found out that Scrapbook does not work, one hour ago, I reverted by installing Firefox 52.
There will be no browser upgrade for me unless Scrapbook (or different product to which I can move the scrapbook data) works.

But more ghastly: there is a project for a “Web Scrapbook” add-on that should be the equivalent for Scrapbook, and from the screenshot I cannot see a working interface, i.e. a tree of documents with collapsable folders, menus, search field and other controls.
If renouncing XUL does not have a valid and possibily richer alternative, if “no more XUL” will mean renouncing to user interfaces and the new add-ons will be as poor as I see, like mistaking a telephone for a production environment, I am most surely out - I will not embrace impotence mistaken for “the future”.

same here, i am not going near any new FF with out my baby SCRAPBOOK, i built a whole offline data base of pages, i advise FF to buy scrapbook or offer it at a fee if anything compared to garbage out there.

I got waterfox to work with scrapbookx. It also works with ublock and videodownload helper. You may have to look for the legacy addons. It was fairly straight forward and I can’t tell the difference between the browser or the new scrapbook. By the way tor still works with scrapbook.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this advice. By downloading Waterfox I managed to access my Scrapbook data.