Reps Communication

Dear Reps,

At our last council meeting we decided to learn more about preference and challenges for communication, and have a couple of questions! :smile:

1. Discourse, Blogs, IRC, Facebook, Dist List. Which of these do you use, which do you prefer?

2. We hold community calls using Vidyo. Is this working for you ? Iā€™ve heard mixed things about bandwidth, but also this: http://blog.humphd.org/video-killed-the-radio-star/ Wondering your thoughts. * This could be about alternatives, but also about ways to support those with bandwidth problems concurrently with Vidyo (creativity needed)

1 Like
  1. Iā€™m using Discourse, Blogs, IRC from this list. Iā€™ve stopped using Facebook for anything other than Chat (using Jabber for the FB chat). I prefer IRC for chatting, Discourse is great for discussions that are not synchronous.

2. Iā€™m using Vidyo quite often and it works great for me. But well, my bandwidth is great as well (I know, Iā€™m lucky).

1 Like

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

I use Discourse and blogs primarily.

Vidyo used to work fine for me, but setting it up on any Linux distro
besides Ubuntu is ridiculous.

About alternativesā€¦ Out of curiosity, how large of calls does
Firefox Hello support? :wink:

On 06/01/15 14:05, Emma Irwin wrote:

Dear Reps,

At our last council meeting we decided to learn more about
preference and challenges for communication, and have a couple of
questions! :smile:

1. Discourse, Blogs, IRC, Facebook, Dist List. Which of these do
    you use, which do you prefer?

2. We hold community calls using Vidyo. Is this working for you ?
    Iā€™ve heard mixed things about bandwidth, but also this:
    http://blog.humphd.org/video-killed-the-radio-star/ Wondering
    your thoughts. * This could be about alternatives, but also
    about ways to support those with bandwidth problems concurrently
    with Vidyo (creativity needed)

Posted by emma_irwin on 01/06/2015

ā€” To respond, reply to this email or visit
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/reps-communication/1356/1
in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user
preferences

Sent from my Arch box
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJUrErZAAoJEHG8xayjpmoDD54H/2OjXFEvhKW8P8Nd6246BC/u
n6Z3bPadPIzEJimpwkUUlEnyR0XgVLpo6u0AMYebDSv9emqu90lGmePRooJX6QEV
k86DwRognjDUGohXoRg9xe3QaHqyclKaZSzuQ1c9XwM5bcn3yfcsawCaC1HbSM7n
6MtFyHsFQJmRIOpefp8BsKcOsA2PwE7o4QEFV3SprkIPMONxooPAtfGcty347mpE
LFL0On0RH5LGCcL0KzzGEMDIJWQc0WvX81VnTjvKOLFdWZZ7tiZ4Yx3lH+Uy5Ko3
cTZq2L/KFKRZKpi36eeKd245ufpQ+NdCAdlZnT+jtfZP9jIZAW0ntJiadZIWTXg=
=hnjb
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

I think that Hello only supports 1:1 now

Hi all,

Discourse is great for discussion without a doubt but may be I like it old school so I check the posts posted in Discourse via my email (just like in the mailing list). All in all I am ok with discourse.

I use IRC and Facebook the most and I prefer IRC over everything.

Yes with limited bandwidth and poor internet connection most of the times Vidyo is not the best of the choices for me. :ā€™(

1. I use Discourse and IRC. I very much prefer IRC!

2. I use Vidyo for some meetings I can join according to my time zone. Sometimes I have issues with the webcam, it seems there is no communication between Vidyo, the meetingā€™s link and the webcam.

I use:

1. Discourse, Blogs, IRC, Dist List.
    Prefer Discourse and IRC
    I use even more frequently Telegram. I prefer that for immediate talk.

2. Vidyo works for me and I like it because you can have a better meeting in my opinion ( text or call - you are waiting in vain sometime as you can not see what happens)

One interesting thing I would like to know is how many people do follow email often.

I think there is a big group of Reps that rely on other channels daily and just check email from time to time.

I use mainly email, even follow discource by email.

I like vidyo very mutch but i donā€™t have issues with it :slight_smile:

1. I like/prefer Discourse for asychronous communication, less intrusive than a mailing list (opt-in to the content, instead of opt-out). I donā€™t really like IRC, I prefer jabber for sychronous communications.

2. I sometimes use Vidyo, but Iā€™d rather not :stuck_out_tongue: I donā€™t trust installing proprietary apps on my personal laptop. I extensively use Hello for 1:1 lately and other WebRTC services (palava.tv, apper.in) for multiple participants video calls.

1 Like

Iā€™m using irc, telegram and discource
For meetings I prefer vidyo since itā€™s better to see people faces while youā€™re talking. I understand bandwidth problems and one solution is using vidyo (or any other video program) as a primary communication path in meetings and using irc as a backchannel for people that can not attend via video. (Weā€™ve tried that on the Moz Balkans meetings and it is working).

how do you handle IRC as a backchannel? Does somebody write a protocol in IRC or is the Vidyo streamed?

Basically someone that can participate on Vidyo is responsible on writing and informing the irc partipants. Also he/she needs to raise the irc concerns/questions/feedback on Vidyo

A very interesting and relevant question this is.

1 I like Discourse. Was somewhat septic in the beginning but have really come to like the platform.Thinks works really great as long people are using it

I have found that IRC is less used in the Mozilla project (especially within Reps/Engagement ) in compassion to the other major Free/Open Source project Iā€™m involved with. Before Discourse I did find it problematic , now that we have Discourse I find it much less so.

2 Donā€™t use Vidyo. Beside that its proprietary, non free software it have lacking support for GNU/Linux OS. Have tested Firefox Hello although I understand its not 100% reliable yet (are looking forward to when it is).

This is a variation of the model that is used by W3C for phone conference calls. They even have an IRC bot that turns the log into meeting notes. But to really work well, it requires having a person dedicated to being the ā€œscribeā€ for the meeting. Itā€™s difficult to scribe while also participating.

In the Mozilla context, I find it works better to use etherpad as a backchannel for Vidyo. You can keep the agenda there, and add notes to each item as the meeting goes along. Since people in the meeting are looking at the etherpad for the agenda anyway, theyā€™re more likely to notice if someone whoā€™s not on Vidyo adds a question or comment there.

Firefox Hello is also only for two people, so far.