Achievements for Firefox
Version 1.0 • 11.30.2016
We believe that the use of gamification in Firefox through the means of achievements will result in a browser experience that is more fun and engaging.
- We will measure how many achievements have been awarded in order to determine how engaged users are in Firefox.
- We will measure which types of achievements have been awarded in order to determine how users are engaging in Firefox.
- We will measure user satisfaction qualitatively in order to determine how users like this feature.
- Understanding how engaged Firefox users are without this experiment will help us determine how engagement has changed with our experiment.
- Understanding how satisfied users are with Firefox without this experiment will help us determine how overall satisfaction has changed with our experiment.
- Number of achievements awarded / Number of users using the experiment KPI - this will help us validate the overall engagement of our experiment because it directly correlates to user engagement.
- User satisfaction KPI - this will help us validate the overall satisfaction of our experiment because it gives us information on how users like this feature.
I’d like to see a significant increase in user engagement and user satisfaction.
The experiment might fail if:
- there isn’t a good balance between easy and difficult achievements (this can be adjusted over time),
- on-boarding is confusing,
- users don’t have an easy way to view their score and the achievements they have and have not unlocked,
- users don’t have an easy way to share their score with others.
The experiment eventually becomes a feature of Firefox.
The experiment should remain in Test Pilot until we have enough data to confirm our hypothesis, which may take anywhere from a couple months to a year.
In this report we’d like to include information that demonstrates how our hypothesis has been either confirmed or unconfirmed. We would like to include:
- Screenshots from the experiment,
- A graph displaying the popularity of each achievement
- A graph displaying the usage of the experiment over time,
- A summary of the qualitative reviews we have received users.
Prior Art + Assets
There is an existing legacy add-on that has already proven to be successful. - Cheevos for Firefox. This add-on contains assets created by Stephen Horlander and includes many achievements. It has over 300,000 downloads with an average rating of 5 stars.