Search Tab 2.0.1-signed.1-signed

Tab search among many open tabs has been REALLY helpful with ‘Search Tab 2.0.1’ (above), but with the 55.0.1 (64-bit) release, it has stopped working. Trying the other suggested methods of searching open tabs (e.g. “% abc” in address bar) does not work for me either.

I’d VERY MUCH like to see this legacy add-on updated to work in current (and future) FF releases. This has been a very useful add-on - indispensable, really. Short of an update, is there another add-on that accomplishes the same thing? I haven’t been able to find one as of yet.

Thank you in advance.

There no addon bar and addons cant add search bars in WebExtension… but let me see if I can add the feature in a useful manner to FoxyTab :thinking:

That would be GREAT. Thanks.

I remembered … on FF56 (cant remember of it was in 55 or not), there is an Option to search the Tabs.

Options -> Privacy & Security -> Address Bar
:ballot_box_with_check: Browsing history
:ballot_box_with_check: Bookmarks
:ballot_box_with_check: Open tabs

Selecting “Open tabs” allows you to Type a word in the Address bar and it will search the opened tabs as well. It is built-in so there is no need for any extra addon for that. :+1:

Tried your suggestion, but did not work. I unchecked browsing history and bookmarks so that only Open Tabs was checked - and when using the search area, it still only returns results using my default search engine, rather than showing any open tabs (none of the results from said searches refers to any open tabs either).

see att. settings page screen

Here is a screenshot from mine

Yeah - your screenprint looks like its searching the internet - not the other open tabs. I want to search among the 200 or so other open tabs within my FF. That’s what “Search Tab 2.0.1” did (prior to FF 55). That’s what I’m sorely missing.

No… It is searching the Tabs … look at the first item. That is my 2nd Tab and in front it says, Switch To Tab
That is not searching the internet. It is searching the Tabs.

Okay, now I see the error of my ways. I had been trying to search open tabs from an open tab of my default search engine: duckduckgo. Searching for an open tab FROM A NEW TAB (as in your screenprint) does work - awesome.

Its usefulness is somewhat restrictive in that - for example - if I had an open tab where I had searched for ‘baseball’ at youtube.com and I searched open tabs for ‘baseball’, it would have identified the youtube open tab, but if I had searched for an open tab with the search term ‘youtube’, that open tab would not be found (although other open youtube tabs would have been found with other youtube subjects shown - seems strange - inconsistent - to me).

If I search for the term “router” and I’m looking for an open tab “tomsguide.com/us/home-router-security,news-19245.html”, it did find that one using the current way of searching.

Here’s another anomaly: searching for an open tab using search term ‘pocket’ does not find the open tab for “getpocket.com/login?e=2”. Seems like it should be able to find the open tab just from the search term “pocket”. Lots of other sites have their internet address with the leading word “my” in front of the rest of the address, and those would not be found either.

The way of searching open tabs as it exists today is definitely better than nothing.

Many thanks for your help with this. Maybe at some point in the future, the tab search feature can be expanded to look for any open tab with any of the search terms, rather than just the exact, complete root internet address.

I tested it and it searches both Title and URL but the search has to be done in Address Bar as it says in the Options. You can search from any tab (not only blank ones) but you loose the URL.

I started to write the code for it. Problem is the text input where you enter your search.
The contextMenu doesn’t ave a way to do it and the option is to add a toolbar icon so once clicked, it would popup a search box.

Adding a toolbar button just for that, seems a waste. Lots of addons add toolbar buttons and it can get very crowded with all those buttons.

If I think of a neater method, then I will do it.

Awesome!

Thank you for all your help.

Consider https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/omnibox

Alternatives:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1364404
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215064

Thanks … that is a possibility.
TBH, since the search is already built in the Address Bar, there is no point in adding the same function to the same location (address bar)

I am also waiting for a Toolbar API. A floating Panel is also very useful (I had asked for it before) but as P5, it wont be coming any time soon :wink:

Found this one this morning and been playing with it a little - looks to be quite helpful as an alternative to Search Tab 2.0.1:
(had to use legacy version 0.2.34 with FF55)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/all-tabs-helper/?src=api