Status of Mozilla IoT

In light of this week’s announcements from Mozilla about layoffs and project cancellations, many people would like to know the status of Project Things. Did this project get axed this week?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same.

Latest update was: Mozilla WebThings Update

1 Like

That last update was before this round of layoffs. From what I’m seeing, IoT seems to be affected by the new round, but there seem to be chances that community can keep this going (how much Mozilla can stay involved is something we’ll still find out). Discussion is mostly going on in the #iot:mozilla.org room on Matrix/Element.

1 Like

@mstegeman, usually responds in less than 2 hours.

I totally agree with you. I hope the power of the community remains during these horrible times.

1 Like

Yes, the team was eliminated. We are working on a transition plan to ensure that existing users can still use their gateways via the tunneling service and the community continue to thrive. Stay tuned for more.

2 Likes

@mstegeman I’m guessing that you are one of the people that had their job cut at Mozilla? Wishing you a speedy return to work. I know from bitter experience how difficult this situation can be. Please accept my thanks for your efforts and help that you have given to me over the past several months. If endorsements or recommendations are useful to you, please let me know where?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, yes, my role was eliminated. Thank you, though! I will reach out if I find something you can help me with. :slight_smile:

Same here. @mstegeman, has helped us a lot.
I will take this opportunity to thank you in behalf of all people that you’ve helped them so far.
I say to you and all employees that have been affected by this layoffs: “Every exit is an entry somewhere”.
Wish you and Mozilla a great entry somewhere.

2 Likes

I’d like to echo those sentiments on behalf of the more junior developers here and just reinforce that you’ve been a fantastic help and an inspiration to the lot of us. You and your team deserve the best and feel free to reach out here as well if you need recommendations/reviews

1 Like