[Support] Notification Sound

Your location does not matter, so I’m a bit confused about this question.

Thanks, good follow-up.i used google tranlate to speak with you sorry.

1 Like

It does not work here. I DO get a sound from this addon when a download is finished (after activating download information in the settings). So the addon is definetly able to play a sound. But I seem to have a problem with notifications. Neither from supported other addons, nor from the notification test website I can get a sound. And the test website also is not showing any kind of notification. What can went wrong here?

P.S.: The notification sound DOES work on this alternative notification website: https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html
But it still does not work with the “Update scanner” addon, which claims to support this app

Interesting. The Update Scanner extension does indeed support the extension, so something must be up here. Good to hear that it is working with some websites that show notifications. I would assume that the notification test website is not working because it isn’t getting the notification permission granted properly.

The only reason that I can image is that somehow the filtering decides that the extension is not allowed to make a sound due to your configuration. I won’t rule out a bug, but could you please double check your configuration, and if that’s correct also try the inverted config (if you’re currently specifically allowing the update scanner extension, try allowing all or the reverse)

Thank you for your quick answer. In the settings from addon “Benachrichtigungston” I made sure to mark the checkbox “play sound for all supported extensions”. The line below (IDs from ignored extensions) is left empty. So for me it seems very clear that these settings are correct.

Can anything else go wrong in communicating between both addons? Can I check somehow if the “Benachrichtigungston” addon has been triggered from Update Scanner? I’d like to find out which Addon is causing the problem. Maybe alternatively you know another supported extension I could try to get along with Benachrichtigungston?

These appear to be correct settings, agreed. If we assume my code then does what it’s supposed to :slight_smile:

Not something that is in the control of either extension and wouldn’t be a Firefox issue. If there is an issue, you would see it in the browser console, though it would likely be quite cryptic. Further, update scanner has a “fire and forget” approach for playing the notification sound when creating a notification.

The other three extensions that I know support it are three of mine:

• Live Stream Notifier (currently “barely” works, possibly with mixer)
  • Advanced GitHub Notifications
  • Netatmo CO₂ Indicator

That reminds me that I had at some point made a simple test extension to test the integration, I wonder if that’s still around somewhere.

Unfortunately Netatmo requires some authentication and live stream notifier seems to be completely down. Finally on GitHub I couldnt easily generate a notification. Would be really great, if you found your test extension.

BTW: Is the addon combination working on your own system?

I’ve created a quick extension (unsigned!) to easily test the extension integration. Download the zip and install it on about:debugging in the “This Firefox” section. This will only install it temporarily, so it won’t be installed anymore if you restart Firefox.

The extension will add a toolbar button with the notification sound icon. If you click the button, the notification sound extension should be triggered (works for me)

notification_tester-1.0.0.zip (1.4 KB)

I am no longer using the notification sound extension myself, since my primary OS’s notification system plays a sound whenever a notification is shown and Firefox uses said notification system.

Thanks lot, that works very well and I can hear the sound! So it seems like general settings and Benachrichtigungston Addon must both be alright and probably the update scanner addon does not really trigger the sound, right?

It does make it likely that the update scanner extension is not triggering a sound for some reason.

Their code looks fine (https://github.com/sneakypete81/updatescanner/blob/master/src/lib/scan/notification.js) , however, it turns out that the version currently on AMO does not have that piece of code.

So how to change that?

I also noticed another minor bug: The “ignore numbers” function does not work. Changed numbers are also triggering the (silent) alarm.

Most likely by getting in touch with the author of the update scanner extension. Alternatively you could try one of the pre-versions from their github: https://github.com/sneakypete81/updatescanner/releases