[Support] Sage-Like - Sidebar Based RSS Feed Reader

Sage-Like 92 اريد الدعم

Hey Dawiesel,

Caching posts is problematic in the sense that they will not be synchronized with other devices like the feeds that are stored in the Firefox Bookmarks (Firefox built in Sync system). So, if I’ll do implement this it will be locally cached.

Providing an option to limit the number of posts per feeds is reasonable.

Do you experience poor loading times for https://cdn.kuechenstud.io/feeds/ldn-mp3.xml when it’s loaded in the sidebar or in the Feed Preview?

Particularly in this feed, each post contained a relatively large audio attachment (enclosure) and they are all loaded into the browser when the Feed Preview. Those attachments have no affect when the feed is loaded in the sidebar.

In the next version I resolved this problem by delaying the attachment loading.

I realize that caching is problematic and for me it would probably best to have my own instance of ttrss or something like that.

I just tested the performance again and it doesn’t seem to be decreased by the number of posts.

1 Like

Hey

It’s a bit general.
Can you provide any additional details?

Hello Ariel,

thanks for this addon, I’ve looked at others and this one seems to fit my needs the most after the Live Bookmarks have been deprecated (been using an old Firefox version with the LiveClick addon until now).

Could I make a suggestion regarding the feed update timestamp which causes feeds in the GUI to appear as if they have new items, as already addressed here? [Support] Sage-Like - Sidebar Based RSS Feed Reader There could be a special option that would allow the user to ignore this timestamp information, maybe via a global setting? Reddit subreddit RSS feeds and some blogs as well seem to set the timestamp to the time the feed was retrieved.

Thanks, keep up the good work :slight_smile:

1 Like

HI heh453,

I’m glad to know Sage-Like suits you needs. :slight_smile:

I’m currently swamped by my day job but I will revisit this issue and see what I can do.

Hi heh453,

I’ve published version 2.8 of the addon that I hope will resolve this issue.

No additional settings. I’ve implemented a fix that tries a bit harder to determine the feed’s actual timestamp.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Hello, thanks for the update :slight_smile: Looks like the change works for Reddit and other sites.

I noticed though that Youtube feeds may still appear as updated (channel names appear in bold) because the channel owners probably in fact update something while no new feed items are added:

(Perhaps a setting to ignore these “updated” feed tags might find its use?)

Oddly, something about the 2.8 update broke my ability to sign in to sites like tvmaze (dot com) on Waterfox G4.0.8, disabling sage-like cured it and I was unable to get any usable error message even through debug console besides a page displayed “login failed”. Most sites posed no issue.

Anyone able to verify on current firefox build with tvmaze to check if it’s just a waterfox/me thing? Because needless to say, I find it very sus when anything interferes with what should be a secure operation.

1 Like

Hello @joeblowma

Thank you for this feedback.

I’ve created a tvmaze account and performed some very preliminary tests with Firefox v98 and I can confirm this issue.

I’ll need to investigate some more to get to the bottom of this, but for now I’ve noticed that the site responded with ‘429 Too Many Requests’ and I think I have some idea what is the reason for this issue.

I’ve also noticed that if, on the login page, I wait 8-10 seconds before clicking on the Login button, the logging-in process is successful (can you confirm? :pray:).

I understand your concern. I assure you that no malicious actions are performed and the Sage-Like source code is on github.

I’ll provide a solution to this issue as soon as I can.

1 Like

Hi @joeblowma

As a workaround, go to the extension’s Options page and uncheck the ‘Detect feeds in web pages and show…’ option.

This should fix it for now.

Sorry for the Inconvenience.

1 Like

Thanks @ariel.risky, both for looking into it and the definitely working workaround! Good to know it’s actually just a very few sites thing in that some coders just manage to do things in a weird enough way that nobody could see it coming.

edit:/ I too noticed I was eventually able to get tvmaze to login despite the error message.

1 Like

Hi @ariel.risky, thanks for your addon. Till Version 2.7 it was working perfectly.
Since Version 2.8 I have problems working on the webbased Software “Mewis” (https://www.eckd-kigst.de/portfolio/loesungen/kirchliches-meldewesen/itmmewis-nt/)
I could login, but anything else, especially a search wouldn’t work.

The Workaround with unchecking “detect feeds” works…

Hi…

Thanks for a great RSS reader. I’ve been using it for a few years and never had a problem until the latest update (2.8.) I’m using Firefox v99 and a Windows 10 desktop PC. I also tried it on the latest FF Developer version - 100 Beta 4.

There are two sites I visit and for whatever reason, Sage-Like interferes with my ability to log in. On hulu.com, once I enter my credentials, I get a message stating that there’s a problem switching to my profile. On verizon.com once I enter my credentials it just loops back to asking me to enter my credentials.

None of the other sites that ask for credentials exhibit this behavior. Since I use these two sites often, I have to disable Sage-Like every time I want to log in. Which is not what I want to do.

Please let me know if you need more information in order to get this issue resolved.

Thanks.

Hello @phred,

Thanks for the feedback and I am sorry for the Inconvenience,

This sounds like a the same issue that was mentioned here and here.

As a temporary solution go to the extension’s Options page and uncheck the ‘Detect feeds in web pages and show…’ option.

This is just a workaround and the issue will be fixed in the next version.

Hi…

Thanks for the quick reply. That did the trick. Very much appreciate your help.

Hi,

Next version will include this:

feed-properties

Sorry if it is a strange sentence. My English is poor and I use translate.google.com.

I’d really like to just see a different colored feed every time the feed is updated to a source that isn’t coming from the user action link to the properties.

Very useful for controlling changes resulting from updates not by.

Sorry I’m so late to respond.

I apologize, but I don’t understand the issue you’re describing.

Maybe try to rephrase.

Hi ariel,
thanks again for the add-on.

Say, is it possible to use userscripts on an rssfeed? Like, Greasemonkey and a script?

My example: I have a feed that links to imdb, but i want it to show the rating next to the link. I was already able to write a script for the website but not for an RSS feed.

Thanks again.