[Support] uBlock Origin

Is it possible to block outgoing connections that other Extensions/Plugins are making?

Yes. You will need to look in the behind-the-scene scope though, this is where these networks requests appear (use the logger to see them).

However, before you can block behind-the-scene network requests, you need to enable advanced user mode: blocking indiscriminately behind-the-scene network requests – which also comprise those made by the browser itself – can “break” your browser, hence this is reserved for advanced user, and whoever filters behind-the-scene network requests is on his own to fix issues arising from this.

Also, the behind-the-scene scope is whitelisted by default, so it would have to be removed from the whitelist pane.

See https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Behind-the-scene-network-requests.

I’m trying to get a ABP filter to work in uBlock Origin. The filter is:
goodreads.com##div[id=“reviews”] img[class*=“escapedImg”]

which blocks all user images in goodreads reviews. It doesn’t do anything on uBlock and I can’t figure out how to fix it or manually create a new filter which does the same thing. Please help.

Do you have a URL where this filter does hide stuff? Your filter is valid, so if it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do, it’s because it does not match any element on the page.

I randomly selected a page on goodreads.com, then typed document.querySelectorAll('div[id="reviews"] img[class*="escapedImg"]') at the console, and an empty list was returned, meaning no element matches your filter.

I see user images on the page in the review section, but they have class gr-hostedUserImg, not escapedImg. This means your filter should not work either in ABP.

Does goodreads.com###reviews img.gr-hostedUserImg work? (is it what you want?).

Side note: if your goal is to prevent lots of large images from being downloaded on that site, you could toggle on the blocking of large media elements on that site, and set the size threshold at say, 50 kB (I tried 50 kB, and no user image loaded). This also has the benefit that you can force a load of any of these blocked images with a single click if there is one which you think may interest you.

How strange. You are correct, the filter doesn’t work on ABP either. I’m sure it worked in the past.
goodreads.com###reviews img.gr-hostedUserImg works and does just what I want, thank you.

Just in case, note that merely hiding the images (which is what your filter does) does not prevent them from being downloaded (hence consuming bandwidth).

Hey guys,

uBlock has started breaking my twitch chat in Chrome recently, I have made sure it is uBlock by deactivating all extensions and then only using uBlock and it breaks chat when it is activated. Even disabling uBlock for the chat doesn’t seem to work, I have to physically disable the extension for the chat to work again.

I’m using Chrome Version 50.0.2661.94 m and I’m on Windows 8.1

uBlock has started breaking my twitch chat in Chrome recently

Sorry about this, an emergency fix has been pushed to the Chrome store, but how long it takes to be available is up to the Chrome store now. Related issue: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/1604.

Thanks a lot, everything is working again

Are there plans to support Flattr Plus? I’m interested donating funds to blocked ads, but not in using AdBlock Plus. I’m want to continue using µBlock Origin if possible.

[quote=“sunk818, post:92, topic:6746, full:true”]
Are there plans to support Flattr Plus?[/quote]

No, for the exact same reasons uBlock Origin does not support Eyeo’s “Acceptable ads”.

[quote=“sunk818, post:92, topic:6746, full:true”]
I’m interested donating funds to blocked ads, but not in using AdBlock Plus. I’m want to continue using µBlock Origin if possible.[/quote]

Then you may want to encourage those you wish to support to come up with a micro-payment service. If they already do, then just use it to tip as you see fit, rather than relying on yet another 3rd party to decide for you.

How does uBlock compare to the native tracking protection in Firefox in terms of efficiency and effectiveness? If I combine the two, will it slow down my browsing?

Hey @gorhill

We’re using uBlock Origin in Firefox for Windows. We place the uBlockO extension into Firefox’s /browser/extensions directory so that it gets automatically added for everyone. We would like to add our whitelisted domains in a similar way so that they don’t have to be manually added. Any way that we can modify the whitelist for all computers when installing the extension? Or to have uBlockO automatically import a whitelist file?

Just a quick question.
I wonder if uBO will also block social network tracker, like Disconnect.me does?
Any clarification about this. I am using uBO since last year and I really like it.
Thanks

There is a setting in about:config which uBO will lookup to enforce “admin” settings: extensions.ublock0.adminSettings. Whatever setting is in there will override user settings every time uBO is launched.

The adminSettings is a JSON string, which format is essentially the same as the JSON from the backup file one can create when clicking “Backup to file” in the dashboard, except that only the settings which are to be overriden appear in that JSON string.

So for example, to create whitelist directives which will override whatever user settings, the steps are:

• Admin launches uBlock Origin.
  • Configure as wished, let’s say one adds localhost as a whitelist directive.
  • Create backup file by clicking “Backup to file”.
  • Open the backed up file using a plain text editor: it’s pure JSON text.
  • Remove all entries which are not meant to be “admin settings”.
    • In the current example, remove everything except netWhitelist, which contains the extra whitelist directive.
  • The resulting text must be converted into a JSON string without LF/CR, so search and replace to remove these.
  • Now you should have a single line of valid JSON text.
  • Use this line as the value of extensions.ublock0.adminSettings in about:config.

Every time uBO is launched, the netWhitelist value will be overriden with the admin settings one – so in the current example, localhost will always be whitelisted.

The other step is then to find a way to write that extensions.ublock0.adminSettings value onto all computers from a central point, that part is beyond my knowledge.

I did not research this. But I do provide online tools for people to find out for themselves – and share their results if they wish. Here is a link to a page load speed measuring tool: http://www.raymondhill.net/ublock/pageloadspeed.html. (Won’t work for web pages which do not accept to be embedded in an iframe).

There are 3rd-party filter lists readily available in uBO for this, just enable them. To find out how much they help, here is an online tool which allows one to find out and also compare resultset of which remote servers a web page connected: http://raymondhill.net/httpsb/har-parser.html.

Thanks, I will try it.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you! :smiley:

Is extensions.ublock0.adminSettings a hidden configuration setting? I don’t see it by default in about:config. I’m running uBlock Origin 1.7.0 and Firefox 46.0 on Windows 7.

uBO never writes to that setting, only read from it, hence it does not exist by default.

Any chance a version for Microsoft Edge is in the works?