Take part in the Firefox For Families campaign!

Updated deadline: 18 September 2022

Hello,

We’re obsessed with privacy and have 20 years of expertise advocating for it. Building products that keep the internet a safe, people-first place and that puts individual safety and public benefit over commercial profit is what we are thriving for.

Kids are using social media and the internet more than ever. We know that parents are raising kids during a volatile time. While kids are the most technologically savvy generation, they’ve lost opportunities for healthy connections that previous generations enjoyed.

Parents care deeply about internet safety and privacy and see the necessity and even the value of the web.

With school just around the corner, we want to hear from parents worldwide about how they keep their children safe online for our special Firefox for Families campaign.

We are calling on parents to share how you keep your kids safe online by submitting a short video to be shared across our Firefox social media and digital platforms.

Interested? Great! Here’s everything you need to know to get involved.

How to submit?

The easiest ways to share video files are to upload a .mov or .mp4 file onto YouTube as unlisted and send the YouTube link once completed to community-portal[at]mozilla.com.

You can find more detailed guidelines on how to create a video here.

Who can submit

All individuals raising or working with children and young people in any part of the world

How many submissions are allowed?

Each individual can submit once

Submission details:

The submission period will be open from August 31, 2022, till September 6, 2022.

You must submit one email with the subject ‘Keep Kids Safe Online- Your Name’ to: community-portal[at]Mozilla. com

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach us at: community-portal[at]Mozilla. com

Example of structure of a video:

This will of course depend on what you are comfortable sharing, but this could be an example of the structure of a video:

1. Briefly Introduce yourself (e.g. Which part of the world are you from, are you a parent, or teacher…)
  2. share what you do to keep your kids safe online

Keep rockin’ the free and open web,

The Community Programs Team

1 Like

I have some doubts about this campaign.

1. ask to upload a video on Youtube is a heavy barrier for some people.
    Maybe, allow to send through instant messaging apps, it might have been more prolific. Why Mozilla excludes this way of sending? If it is for the quality video, I think is better to have more potential good content (maybe in low quality) then few in HD.
  2. another aspect could be better is the target of this campaign. It engages only who is already active in the privacy protection.
    Maybe, ask to send also videos about the fears and doubts about how the parents can manage some aspect of theirs children privacy, it might allow to know what is the needs of the people.
  3. if it is required only videos in English it should be indicated

This is only my opinion. I don’t know what a parents can do about the children privacy or what Mozilla does about this.
I’d like to discover those aspects :slight_smile:

thank you very much for the Feedback! I will pass this on, and try to clarify :slight_smile:

Hello all, so as an update:

1. We can accept videos in languages other than English. We would ask people to add a sentence at the beginning stating where they are from. We would then add subtitles.
  2. If it is easier for people, instead of uploading the video to YouTube we could organize a meeting with them and record the video directly.

Hi,

I sought out this forum after updating and seeing the “Tech Talk” page. I was wondering about the following:

It doesn’t say what “internet monitoring device” really means - it could be a simple tracker for the amount of traffic going through your router, to being interpreted as something trough which you can actually see what your child is currently doing on their device, in which case this would be terrible advice.

Further, if I understood correctly, the statement “[private browsing] keeps your kid’s data from being collected” is made, despite it being false…

I’m curious, are there any discussions about this? Especially with / from the people who created this page. I just don’t think it’s “Making awkward tech conversations with kids slightly less awkward” or really doing what it intended to do.