TDSB volunteer hours?

Does anyone know if volunteering for Mozilla qualifies for the TDSB required volunteer hours?

TDSB being the Toronto District School Board?

1 Like

Yup

I know (of) you!

Sadly, doesn’t seem like volunteering centrally at Mozilla would qualify, assuming you’re talking about their “Community Involvement” thing.

That said, the criteria isn’t too helpful. Feels like a list of examples rather than a list of possibilities. It probably makes sense for somebody to reach out to them. I could do that, if you’d like me to look into it

Hello Fellow Torontonian!

Looking at the list of kinds of volunteer activities I think you could possibly make volunteering with Webmaker fit under literacy. But it also says “if a student proposes to undertake an activity that is not on the board’s list of approved activities, the principal will determine whether the student’s proposed activity is acceptable, in consultation with the appropriate supervisory officer.” Based on the silly things I saw count as “volunteer” work when I was in high school I’m sure it would be fine, but you should check before you start.

Then the biggest thing would be finding someone (in the Toronto office) who can supervise you. It looks like all that is required from “supervisors” is that they…

COMMUNITY SPONSORS MUST:
-provide students with a a letter detailing the type of activity, and verifying the completion of hours

• provide any training, equipment, or special preparation that is required for the activity (It is crucial that students are able to fulfill their community involvement requirement in a safe environment.

Since you don’t need any training and you can work from wherever (safe environments only!) if you put together a letter it should be an easy sell.

Do you know how you’d want to contribute for your 40 hours? If you write up a little blurb about what you’ll be doing, I can run it by legal to see if it would be okay that someone in the office supervise you.

Depending on your interests (and if legal says it’s cool) I’d be happy to supervise you or try and pair you with someone else who can in the TO office.

Send me your interests lucy@mozilla.com!

fwiw, I did my work experience with Mozilla.

I have some documentation from the legal considerations when we did that.

Sorry for that late reply, and that all sounds really promising and helpful! I don’t actually know what I can or want to do though, I’ve always been related to Mozilla but outside of it too, and I’m looking to explore Mozilla as much as get my hours.