Thinking about Recognition

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share 1/2 posts I’m writing on recognition at Mozilla.

http://tiptoes.ca/personalized-recognition/

(feedback on both posts appreciated).

3 Likes

And a follow-up post o

http://tiptoes.ca/force-of-good/

Hoping others are interested in helping lead a #mozlove charge to surface the good work of others.

1 Like

I really like the thought of adding it to workflows. I think it might also help to identify which types of recognition should be built in to a healthy community - like calling out in team meetings who accomplished what and appreciating that it allows the team to move on to the next step, or even just remember that you’ve had volunteers do a great job on your project and remember to offer them more tasks ie the simple recognition of acknowledging the people who have shown up to the table.

I think other things like sending swag are probably not going to fit into an everyday workflow, but it can certainly be added as a step to specific campaigns or projects. It could be a regular session during team work weeks to set aside time to remember who should be recognized and how they should be recognized.

Related: One of the things that I’ve been thinking about is motivation. My experience suggests that both asking about motivation and designing for it with our events, programs, activities, etc is pretty crucial to deepening the impact of volunteers. Here’s a little framework I’ve been playing with:

Where do we do a good job of this now, and where can we improve?

2 Likes

Thanks for this @george . I think in the past, we’ve been combining numerous outcomes we want - into one this one term ‘recognition’ : suggest those are: ‘recognition of excellent work’ , ‘encouragement’ and ‘saying thanks’. It feels like we often use things like badges to say thanks, which devalues that badging in general. Perhaps (and I am stealing from @rosana on this) that getting back to the core of ‘meritocracy’ might be an interesting way to differentiate, and then build thinking around each.